Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will an M1-ATX work as an SDC for an inverter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will an M1-ATX work as an SDC for an inverter?

I may end up trading for one of these and I thought it might simplify my wiring a little bit. Instead of getting a POL supply and a SDC, an M1-ATX might meet all of my needs in one little package.

I opted not to modify the wiring on my Dell computer OR my DC-DC PSU I have now, so I'm going to an inverter instead. The M1-ATX would run everything BUT the PC itself.
    In the works...
    Dell GX240 SFF
    P4 1.8GHz, 256 RAM, 160GB HDD
    8" Lilliput (fab work completed - F-150)

My worklog
    Misc crap FS - OLD laptop (w/ adapters) | Sony memory | USB key | Printer Dock, etc

Still looking for an answer to this one. Searching before making the original post gave me no answers.
    In the works...
    Dell GX240 SFF

My worklog
    Misc crap FS - OLD laptop (w/ adapters) | Sony memory | USB key | Printer Dock, etc

Comment

Why don't you just get a DC-DC power supply that power all your devices rather than dicking around with the inverter, SSDC, POL supply, and all that crap?
      By the time you've got all that together, you'll spend at least the $190+S/H for a DSATX, which will power damn near anything you throw at it (within reason, of course).
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

It will work, but why? You can get two M1s, or an M2 or two, or an Opus or DSATX.

Invertors, while they work, have been known to cause issues, the least of which is getting them to start up and shutdown, such as noise, which will annoy the hell out of you if you get it.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
          Why don't you just get a DC-DC power supply that power all your devices rather than dicking around with the inverter, SSDC, POL supply, and all that crap?
          I'll try and summarize my situation so it makes a little more sense.

I bought the Keypower that was FS in my sig (removing it now actually). I compared the main plug on the Dell PSU to the Keypower, and some of the wiring looked different. Rather than modifying the wiring of either, I opted to get rid of the Keypower and go with an inverter. I found a buyer for the Keypower, but I took a partial trade of an M1-ATX, so I either need to sell that or use it.

The inverter problems I read about on here are probably true, but I think its inverter and install specific. I've got a couple buddies that run them with zero issues, so I figured I'd at least give it a try.

Then today, I finally get an answer from Dell about their wiring. Tech told me the ATX plug on the GX240 is standard ATX, and that the wiring wouldn't necessarily be the same color(s). Will the DSATX support a 160w system as well as USB hubs, DVD drive, Lilliput, etc?
          In the works...
          Dell GX240 SFF

My worklog

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks for the link, that must be a newer FAQ. Its helpful having all the break down for each PSU on there, thanks for that.

Just to confirm for my external stuff...

DVD-RW drive: 5v x 2amps = 10watts
              Lilliput 8": 12v x 2amps = 24watts
              USB Hub: 5v x 2amps = 10watts

I think I'll try out the audio through the system before I buy the DSATX though. The noise should be filtered out after passing through the HU and then the amplifier.
              In the works...
              Dell GX240 SFF

My worklog

Comment

Working...
              X