Powering the M2-ATX Inside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering the M2-ATX Inside

Is it possible to power the M2-ATX via house outlets? If I just hook up an AC/DC adapter and set it to 12V, snip the ends off and tie the wires to the M2-ATX power wires would that work or blow something up?
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

That would work, but besides 12 volts, you also need to make sure that ac-dc adaptor you are using meets the Current needed for the M2-ATX.

I'm unsure if they list the specs needed, but 12 volts 800 mAmps might not be enough for the M2, where as 12 volts 1200 mAmps would be better.

Similar notion for the screens we use. You have to verify the power settings before using any old power adaptor.

Anyone know how many amps the M2 needs, or if it would cause damage using an underrated adaptor? I know the M2 is intelligent, but I'm not sure what would happen not given enough amps to operate.
    www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

The M2-ATX is fused at 15A.

I am powering it on the bench with a ATX PSU rated at 14A on the 12V rail. Works fine for me. However I am drawing no more than 6A from it.

Comment

Originally posted by SnyperBob
        I'm unsure if they list the specs needed, but 12 volts 800 mAmps might not be enough for the M2, where as 12 volts 1200 mAmps would be better.

Similar notion for the screens we use. You have to verify the power settings before using any old power adaptor.

Anyone know how many amps the M2 needs, or if it would cause damage using an underrated adaptor? I know the M2 is intelligent, but I'm not sure what would happen not given enough amps to operate.

1200 mAmps gives you a max of 14.4 Watts , which is too low. It is rated at 160 Watts (160/12=13.33 Amps) - (uses a 15 Amp fuse). 12 VDC, 14 Amp would be the best.

I was thinking if u could power it off the 12 V rail from a normal desktop PSU. Will a 250 Watt PSU supply enough current on the 12 V rail - that is 14 Amps @ 12V???

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
        CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
        Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Well, you've answered your own question.. The M2 will draw 13.3 amps max... If the PSU you have can put out 14 amps on the 12 volt rail, you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Teranfirbt
            Well, you've answered your own question.. The M2 will draw 13.3 amps max... If the PSU you have can put out 14 amps on the 12 volt rail, you'll be fine.
            Guess I did

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
            CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
            Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Originally posted by piabu
              The M2-ATX is fused at 15A.

I am powering it on the bench with a ATX PSU rated at 14A on the 12V rail. Works fine for me. However I am drawing no more than 6A from it.
              How do you power it using an ATX PSU?

Comment

You splice into the 12v from a molex conenctor.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

That's what I figured but wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Comment

So to be clear before I damage anything.. Just snip and strip a 12V and ground wire on one of my molex connectors, connect those two wires to the hot and ground of the M2, plug the M2 to my mobo, then plug the ATX PSU into the wall?

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340
                      So to be clear before I damage anything.. Just snip and strip a 12V and ground wire on one of my molex connectors, connect those two wires to the hot and ground of the M2, plug the M2 to my mobo, then plug the ATX PSU into the wall?
                      Yes, but after you do you'll notice that the ATX PSU won't power on. If you look at the ATX motherboard connector (on the ATX AC PSU only), you should find one green wire. Connect that wire to a ground line on the same connector and the PSU will start when turned on.

Comment

In the older PSUs, you may also need to tie the 3.3v sense wire to a +3.3v. And some PSUs may not output to specification until you provide a resistive load. Connect a large power resistor to ground from the 5v, or just leave an old CD-ROM or HDD connected to a spare molex.

Comment

There are 3 wires on the M2. Battery into yellow molex, Ground into black molex. Where does the last wire go??

Comment

Originally posted by john94587
                            There are 3 wires on the M2. Battery into yellow molex, Ground into black molex. Where does the last wire go??
                            ACC / Ignition.

Comment

I meant into the ATX PSU.
                              We're talking about hooking up the M2 inside the house with the AC ATX PSU.

Comment

Working...
                              X