Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX No Boot

Hey all,

I have searched all the M2-ATX threads I could find and cannot find an answer to my question. So here goes;

I have the +12v (unswitched) wire attached to J1 and the +12v (switched). to J3. I have checked the voltage using a multimeter and can confirm the power is being supplied to the M2 board.

However my system will not boot, so I assume no signal is being sent to the M/B from the M2 board. I have tried as per other threads moving the switch wire from M2 board to M/B around 180 degrees but no difference.

I have checked and re-checked the manual and it may be me but the 2 diagrams provided seem to contradict themselves;

Picture 1;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	2296721

Here you can see (circled Red) that J1 is +12v (unswitched) --- J3 is GND --- J4 is +12v (switched).

However Picture 2;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2296722

Here is says that J1 is +12v (unswitched) --- J3 is +12v (switched)
    --- J4 is GND.

Therefore the Switched 12v and the Ground have changed places.

Is this just me reading the diagrams wrong? As I have tried the wiring as per Picture 2 to no avail. Should i try them the other way around or do i risk killing my m2?

Thanks in advance for your time and help
    Lewis

J1 is the "hot" wire - 12v constant (unswitched).
    J4 is ground.

J3 - the connector in the middle is the ACC/IGN (12v switched) sense input.

On the physical board, the silkscreen marks the centre connector with "SW" as well.

Comment

Originally posted by piabu
      J1 is the "hot" wire - 12v constant (unswitched).
      J4 is ground.

J3 - the connector in the middle is the ACC/IGN (12v switched) sense input.

On the physical board, the silkscreen marks the centre connector with "SW" as well.
      Thanks for your quick reply,

This is how i have it set up currently and as stated the M/B won't boot. I have read in another post that there are 4 jumper to set??? I have just the 1 jumper on B for the Startup/Shutdown control.

I don't think this will effect the boot though.

Also - Sorry i don't understand your last line about the silkscreen?

Thanks

Comment

silscreen marks = writing on the board. u should see "SW" next to the spade connector.

As for jumpers, test it with no jumpers in, which is dumb psu mode.
        Current:
        [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
        [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Originally posted by sama
          silscreen marks = writing on the board. u should see "SW" next to the spade connector.

As for jumpers, test it with no jumpers in, which is dumb psu mode.
          Thanks Sama, i will try that.

Also can i just simply test the output of the atx connector by using a multimeter on the yellow and black wires? If there is no current from the atx block of the M2 board would that indicate the board is faulty?

Lewis

Comment

np.

google for the pinout details of the atx switch and test for all the voltages.
            Current:

Previous:
            [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Originally posted by sama
              np.

google for the pinout details of the atx switch and test for all the voltages.
              Ok i have tested for all the voltages on the ATX cable coming from the M2 board and i'm not getting anything.

Seems bleek to me!

Anymore ideas to test?

Comment

is this with the atx cable plugged into both the motherboard and powersupply. You wont get any power unless they are connected or the pins bridged? Do you have J8 connected to the mobo? Do you have a case switch plugged into J9? If not then try shorting the pins on J9 and see if anything happens. Check the fuse as well in case its blown somehow.
                Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Originally posted by v8 scimitar
                  is this with the atx cable plugged into both the motherboard and powersupply. You wont get any power unless they are connected or the pins bridged? Do you have J8 connected to the mobo? Do you have a case switch plugged into J9? If not then try shorting the pins on J9 and see if anything happens. Check the fuse as well in case its blown somehow.
                  I tested for voltage from the atx, this is with the atx plugged into the M2 board only,it won't boot when both ends connected, i take it that is wrong? Thought i'd get something as power is going to the powersupply?

I have J8 connected to the M/B via the wire provided, i have moved this around to see if was a polarity issue but that wasn't the case.

I don't have a case switch on J9 will try this (but thought the M2 was supposed to automatically send the power on signal to the M/B?)

By shorting do you mean bridge them with a screwdriver for example? Sorry just make sure i understand the terminology!

Thanks

Comment

yep, shorting means connecting them with a honk of metal of some type!
                    Current:

Previous:

Comment

and your pictures, the top diagram is for a M1 and the bottom one is for the M2.
                      Josh
                      '04 WRX

Comment

Just took a few closeups for a FAQ that I plan on writing tonight.

Positive - Remote - Ground

Comment

Thanks for your help guys!!

I took the suggestion from 'v8 scmitar' to short J9, however i used an old switch from an atx case and it works!!!!

Question is: The M2 board was in traditional PSU mode. I have just tried it with a jumper on B of J10 and it works with the switch, not without.
                          Therefore will i have to manually switch on the board each time?

Thanks

P.S - I have also tried putting a Jumper on J9 (toggle switch) instead of the switch and that didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by aspitfire
                            and your pictures, the top diagram is for a M1 and the bottom one is for the M2.
                            Good call!!

Comment

Anyone have any ideas??

Will i need to manually switch the board on each time?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X