Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Possible To Power The M2-ATX From A "Brick" Power Supply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Possible To Power The M2-ATX From A "Brick" Power Supply?

I have an adjustable "brick" power supply (a replacement for an old laptop). I really don't want to spend a lot of money (or time) on a temporary power supply option when I do my initial program load/testing of my carpc before it goes into the car.

Is there a way to hook up a brick to the M2-ATX? Does anybody know where I can get the necessary female plug to plug the brick into?

Does the power brick put out enough volts at enough amps for teh M2ATX?
    I sincerely doubt that it does.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

but is the brick required to output the full voltage/amperage requirements of the M2-ATX under full load, even during boot or idle conditions?
      I tried to do it using my home 60W AC-DC brick. It was a no-go. However, it did power up successfully when connected to my home pc AC-DC ATX PSU.

I was under the impression that PSU's only draw as much power as they require..?
      RED 1999 ACURA INTEGRA GSR STOLEN -- CHICAGO 02/27/08
      VIN JH4DC2391XS002416
      PLATE ILLINOIS 5287412
      Team Integra Markings on Rear Quarterpanel Windows
      REPORT TO 911 IF FOUND

Comment

oddly enough, when I emailed mini-box about RMAing my m2-atx, they asked me what kind of power brick I was using ?!?

Comment

The brick is adjustable from 12-24 Volts with a max of 4.5Amps (80W). All I really want to do is have enough power to do the initial OS load sitting on my desk, not power the monitor or any other power hungry periferals.

Comment

u can use the 12v out from a standard ATX supply, that'll have more than enough power.
            Current:
            [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
            [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Originally posted by jmciver
              The brick is adjustable from 12-24 Volts with a max of 4.5Amps (80W). All I really want to do is have enough power to do the initial OS load sitting on my desk, not power the monitor or any other power hungry periferals.
              You can use a regular AC power supply to do the load and everything, then swap out the M2ATX when you install in the vehicle.

Considering that the M2ATX provides 8a on eaach rail (12v, 5v and 3.3v), that power brick isn't going to work.
              You could also use a car battery or a DC power supply that can provide at least 13.5a to provide all the power the M2ATX requires. The easiest bet is to use a PC power suply and chop a HDD connector up to provide 12v to the M2ATX.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I knew about the ATX power supply idea (I saw it in a few other threads). Unfortunately, I don't have an old ATX power supply laying around and I did not want to spend the money on something that would essentially be used once.

I guess I will end up using a spare car battery I have in the garage (I forgot about that) as my power source for my initial load.

Comment

You CAN use a 12V brick with the M2. I have a 5Amp one I use with an M1 and it works just fine. My PC only uses about 25Watts and the brick can put out 60. Depends on your PC requirements and the brick's capacity.
                  ~Jimmy

Comment

I just thought I would report back that I was able to successfully us my adjustable voltage "brick" to power up my CarPC on the bench. It powered up everything just fine, including a temporary standard IDE CDROM drive I sude for the initial OS load. I went to Radio Shack to buy a dc (female) power connector so that I could plug the brick into the PC.

Comment

I have a pretty power hungry rig so I use a PA-9 Series Dell adapter brick with my M2. The Dell PA-9 brick pumps out 19v at 4.5a. I've found the M2ATX likes operating at higher voltages (seems to like 15.5v the best) and this also keeps current consumption under control. The power output of the Dell PA-9 is rated 90w, but I regularly push mine to 120w+ with no problems.

Comment

I too am using an old Dell supply, though honestly I've never seen it go over about 30W (put an ammeter inline with your PS, its fun!). Those bricks are rated at a certain amperage for one of two reasons, either the voltage ripple at higher draws will be out of tolerance (M1/M2/Opus shouldnt care about that), or heat generation in the regulators will be too much. If you're going to push a brick to the limit or at an unknown current, watch the heat, you dont want to burn down your house (though more likely it will just fail, not set on fire). I also noticed that good supplies (Dell, Sony) have internal breakers. Short them and they will trip off, but will bounce back to life once you unplug thm from the wall.
                        MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
                        Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

I took mine out of its case and put a fan over the board. I think it probably would fail without the fan running.

Comment

Working...
                          X