suggestions on what power supply to use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions on what power supply to use

getting the stuff togehter for my carputer. was wondering what power supply would be best to use.

This is what i have to far:

7" touch screen
    Gigabyte Micro ATX with an AMD Athlon 64 3000
    W.D. 160 H/D
    Pioneer Slot DVD

The mobo, chip and H/D i already have.
    Thanks

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have read that. It's very good, but what i was looking for was should i down grade the mobo and processer , or should I run it this way with a seperate battery, inverter, etc....

Comment

lots of people say the mtx 2 or what ever it is will run that. I wouldnt trust it personally though.
        Progress,.... that is what I keep forgetting ;)
        planning_[++++++++++]. 110%
        parts___[++++++----] around 60%
        install___[-----------] -9,000%

Comment

I would think the M2 would run that, not sure how much that particular cpu takes.

You could always use two M2's or M2 + M1 ATX and power the screen and dvd drive seperatly.

I don't think you will find a cheaper solution. I have been using the M1's for the last year and am very happy with them. The M2's seem to be just as good.
          Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
          http://www.858graphics.com

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Do you guys have a certian website you like to buy from? I'm finding alot of price difference.

Comment

mp3car.com store.
              Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

If your Athlon 64 3000 is the newer 90nm Venice or Winchester, you will be happy to know they draw very little power and run quite cool. Something around 150w should be OK. What kind of Vid card are you running? A beefy one can put you over the limit.

If you have an older 130nm CPU, you might be pushing your luck with a 150w PSU. If that's the case, you might look at the 220w DSATX. It costs more but can power beefy P4 3.0's so your CPU should be fine for it. Another option would be to underclock and undervolt your CPU. Reducing the voltage has the biggest effect on power and heat.
                1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
                CarPC's in F-bodies
                How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
                (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
                Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

Working...
                X