Problems with M2-ATX with timing jumpers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with M2-ATX with timing jumpers

So I just got my M2-ATX in and have already run into issues.

I have an led on the mb to tell me when the mb has power (its a Dell intel based p3 mb). The M2 works fine when used as a dumb power supply. But as soon as I put a jumper on for the timing (J10), no power to the board. This is with 12v constant and ground hooked up. If I also put 12v to the 12v switch, the mb led will flash for a sec then out for 2 or 3 secs, and back on and off repeatively. I tried several of the jumper settings but it only powers the board with no jumpers.

I've read in some threads of similar situations but never a solution, just leave the jumper out and it works which is not a valid solution for me. I've also tried reversing the atx cable, run with and without both J8 and J9 with no different results.

Anything else?
    Volvo S40
    TM-868 8", Dell PIII, M2-ATX
    InDash Fab - http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73498
    |*************| - 95% complete

Does anyone have an answer to this? I am having the same problem and I haven't had any luck with two power supplies on two different computers. I have found a couple of threads like this, but no answers. Thanks.

Comment

I went through 3 of the M2's. They all had different issues and I tried them on 3 different PC's. I finally had enough and got the Opus 150 and it's worked perfectly everytime.

One other thing about the jumpers. Minibox says you have to disconnect all power while you change the jumper settings. Make sure you try that.

Also, I think you HAVE to have the mobo turn on cable connected. The one that plugs into J8 or J9. I can't remember if that was only for the Opus or if it was true of the M2 as well.
      1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
      CarPC's in F-bodies
      How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
      (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
      Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried every combination of jumper/power/motherboard/patting head while rubbing stomach combination I can think of, and no dice. It worls in "dumb psu"mode every time, though. I connect the jumper while the M2 is on, and disconnect the ACC lead, and it shuts down. It willl start back up upon reconnect if I do it within a few seconds, but if the "hardoff" time elapses, then it's dead and I have to disconnect power completely and start over. I have a single cab S-10 with a sub box behind the seat, and the Ampie and M2 combo was hard for me to pass up. I have an Opus 150 in my other car, and it's awesome, but bigger than I would like.

Comment

I can't tell by your response. Did you try changing the jumper settings with all power disconnected to the PSU?
          CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

Yes, I have tried it both ways. I realized the problem after I assembled my mobo and psu in my case to get it ready to go in, and it wouldn't power up after assembly. I didn't have any jumpers installed while testing it, and only installed the jumpers immediately before assembly. I ordered a new M2 while waiting for the RMA process to begin on the one I first purchased, and it came in with the same problem right out of the box. I installed the jumpers on the new one and put it in the case before I ever even tried powering it up. So right now I have both M2s halfass working on two different motherboards--my truckputer setup, which is an Ibase MB896, and an old MSI dual Celeron board. Both behave exactly the same way.

Comment

The 3 M2 I had wer bought in the last few months. I'm guessing that some work fine and some have a defect that hasn't been identified yet. It's the only way that some people get them and they are perfect and I get 3 bad ones in a row.

Have you tried your Opus on your "problem computer" just to rule out the mobo?

Have you spoken with who you bought them from about your problems? You might try another M2, but you may have to switch to another type. Will the M1 or the Opus 120 power your setup? Or will the DSATX fit in your case? I know the Opus 150 has 2 circuit boards at a 90* angle so even if you take it out of it's case I doubt it will fit in your ampie case.
              CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

I haven't tried the Opus, but both boards work fine with regular home power supplies, and even work fine with the M2 in dumb psu mode. I bought them both from Digital Worldwide, but Armen is a little slow on things like this. If I can't get this going soon, I'll be returning the M2s for an Opus 150 and sticking it on the side of my sub box ghetto-style.

Comment

The problem is the initial draw from the M2 is too high for the PSU. When the jumpers are on, its monitoring the voltage and the PSU can't hold it hign enough on the initial draw so the M2 never fully turns on. When in dumb mode the M2 doesn't monitor the voltage so just turns on and the PSU recovers fairly quickly after the initial draw to provide 12v again.

Hook up a multimeter on the psu and try turning on the M2 and you'll see the big voltage drop. As soon as I moved it to the car, the M2 with timing jumpers set worked fine. Just set up everything in dumb mode in the house and then set the jumpers before moving it to the car.
                  Volvo S40
                  TM-868 8", Dell PIII, M2-ATX
                  InDash Fab - http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73498
                  |*************| - 95% complete

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I am glad I read this thread. My new carputer also runs fine directly with a regular PSU but not when M2 is drawing from PSU. I Had not put it in the car for that reason but it sounds like it will run once the car is feeding the M2.
                      Compaq Evo D510 e-PC - P4 2.0 - 512M RAM - 120G 3.5 HD - 7" Xenarc 700TSV - DSATX fitted nicely inside the PC case

Comment

Somebody had a list of extra jumper settings on the M2-ATX which aren't in the manual and now I can't find it

Searched a while too

Anyone know where it is?
                        My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                        NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Working...
                        X