No announcement yet.

Low voltage trigger used to power amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low voltage trigger used to power amp?

Anyone using a low voltage trigger (with the input being the RCA lines coming out of PC) to activate an amp? Would the trigger used in this way affect the sound quality in any way, since it's branching off an RCA? How well does this work in eliminating the dreaded amp thump?
    My install log
    My "selling entire system" thread

Low voltage triggers?
    My install log

Comment

umm, you cant use an RCA signal to trigger an amps remote turn on...

Comment

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERPTR7

I'm talking about using a low-voltage trigger device, with the trigger being the low voltage coming over the RCA outputs of the PC that activate the device, which would activate an amp (just like a relay). There are lots of devices designed to be triggered by low voltage to do things like turn on amps.

If you don't really know, lose the "umm", it's sort of condecending.
        My install log

Comment

Found a better method: using the serial port's DTR line to trigger the amp. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20244
          My install log

Comment

Try figuring out why they were condescending before you critisize them. Your trigger device wouldn't work with the rca output from a PC!

Comment

you can use the usb 5v to trigger a 5v relay, which can then send 12v to your amp turn-on..... just splice into your usb cable..... the usb comes up power wise right after post on most boards.....
              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I'm trying to clarify this in my mind. Would you take 5V from a USB output...like from my 7-port hub? If this is the case, when would 5V appear on this line? After Windows starts? How would this effect the amp's on/off operation when entering and resuming from standby? Hopefully this is the solution to eliminate my turn on thumps. Thanks.
                For sale:
                AOpen Pandora MiniPC

Comment

the 5v should appear right after the computer turns on. And really there's no reason to tie it to your computer at all. I run 2 amps and take the remote wire directly from my ignition wire. I don't have thump at all.
                  If you wanted to use your computer power, I would just splice into a wire coming from your power supply, yellow is 12v red is 5v I think**.

How are you putting your computer into standby and not killing your battery?

2004 Nissan 350z Daytona Blue
                  2x 10" IDMax D4
                  1250.1 kicker amp
                  crappy dell carputer

Comment

The carnetix CNX-P1900 handles puts the computer into standby for a programmable amount of time and also monitors batt voltage so you don't have to worry about draining the battery. I'm currently using the DLYON lead from the P1900 (whose purpose is to turn amps on and off). The problem is that PSU instructs the amp (an Alpine MRV-F450) to turn on immediately when ignition is switched. So, the amp is on and outputting all these mechanical thumps the computer makes while it's booting up. I need the amp to turn on after the computer is done booting to windows.
                    For sale:
                    AOpen Pandora MiniPC

Comment

splice one of the usb wires from the computer to the hub, not after it, this will power up after the computer posts, & will shut down right before the computer powers off, even in hybernate.... then, it comes back on right after it powers up & starts to come out of hybernation.... a 5v relay is easy to get at radio shack... & a 5v relay can control the 12v turn on power no problem, the 5v is for the relays coil....

Comment

oh.... if you need it to come on that late then a timer may be your only option....

Comment

The problem is that PSU instructs the amp (an Alpine MRV-F450) to turn on immediately when ignition is switched. So, the amp is on and outputting all these mechanical thumps the computer makes while it's booting up. I need the amp to turn on after the computer is done booting to windows.
                          Hmm...something wrong here. The DLYON (delay ON signal) comes on 3 seconds after the PC is switched ON by the ACPI (power button) signal from the P1900. This is to prevent the amp from "hearing" (and amplifying) the initial power-up transient that appears on the output of your PC's audio output when the PC gets power. It should not enable the amp "immediately". What DLYON won't do is mask any noise generated by the PC while it's booting (ie after the initial 3 second delay).
                          MikeH

Comment

Mike, DLYON seems to be working as prescribed. My first (and worst) thump comes about 10 seconds after the computer powers on. It's right before the first boot screen appears. The second one comes about 15 seconds later before the Windows XP logo screen appears. The final one about 10 seconds after that after the logo screen goes to black (before it goes to full blue XP logo screen). I'm running a 450 watt 5 channel Alpine amp and some decent speakers/subs, so any noise at all is going to be noticeable and annoying. That's why I think I need the amp to power on after Windows is completely up and running.
                            For sale:
                            AOpen Pandora MiniPC

Comment

pac tr-7 or other timers can be used......time it....... 45 seconds...... 1 min 10 sec..... whatever....

or, replace your soundcard, check you connections.... try to solve the problem instead of bandaiding it with an extended delay..... the computer shouldn't make any noise except that "do do do... dodoooo" sound it makes after the welcome screen

Comment

Working...
                              X