Am I drawing too much power???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I drawing too much power???

OK, I've searched and I hate to post this but here goes...

If my carpute has already booted up and running and I plug in my Terk XMD1000 unit (it's plugged into the serial port, I just plug it into the unit). I hear the hard drive click (the sound it makes right before a PC shuts off) and the system freezes. I don't have this problem if I boot up with the unit plugged in.

I know it's not the cable (its worked before) and this problem isn't always repeatable (it might be a software issue, too).

I cut the square P4 plug off of my OPUS and wired up two plugs for additional 12 devices.

Opus is powering:
    M7NCG 400 Ver 7.2
    80gig HD
    DVD drive (never used)
    512 ram
    D-link BT adapter
    7" lilli w/TS
    Terk XMD1000

Is this too much for the 12V line? I'm using a 10amp fuse at the battery. Should I increase this?

THANKS

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Is the HDD 3.5" or 2.5"?
    Is the DVD drive full-sized or slim?

What all is pulling off the 12v rail besides motherboard and CPU? Lilliput?
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Sorry for the vagueness....

HD is a 3.5", 7200rpm model
      DVD drive is full size 5.25" (I only use when updating; I don't acutally watch DVDs)

12V rail has Lilli, HD, DVD, processor, XMD1000

I switched the pins on all fan plugs (including processor fan) to run off of 5V because they were too loud at 12V.

This same thing happened when I tried to run cold cathode lights off of the 12V line. They aren't hooked up anymore.

TIA, DP.

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Comment

Look here.
        your lilli and XMD1000 will pull close to 1 amp each, you can simulate them by calling them each a 3.5" HD. Plugging in a couple of numbers and I'm coming upwith between 66 and 77 watts (5.3-6.2 Amps) on the 12 volt rail alone. I think the opus is rated at 5A max continuous and 6 amps peak load on the 12V rail... The easy solution would be to connect your XMD and lilly to unregulated 12V.

good luck.
        Carputer installed!!!
        Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

mp3car.com store lists specs for the lilli at less than 9W which would mean 0.75A. I'd rather run the Terk from the unregulated supply; can this be done?

Is my 10A fuse limiting the power supply in any way?

Comment

Working...
          X