Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power up question ... (engineer opinions?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power up question ... (engineer opinions?)

Lemme start out by saying I'm a grad of the Va Tech Computer Science dept and I've also taken some computer engineering classes... so I have a better-than-average grasp on electronics...

Anyway... to save money, I was thinking of using my compaq laptop as the brains. I can write a small app to monitor the power supply and send it into hibernation when it looses the car's power... BUT how the hell do I wake it up??? I'd like to avoid cutting into the laptop, as I'm sure that would void my warranty with Best Buy... BUT... I have an S-Video port on the side... I was thinking of rewiring it directly to the power button and then using a relay powered by the "ON" position in the ignition to send a pulse down an S-Video cable to trip the power switch. Anyone used anything like this??? I know it's a bit complicated... but it saves me like $500. ;-)

Originally posted by sstainba
    Lemme start out by saying I'm a grad of the Va Tech Computer Science dept and I've also taken some computer engineering classes... so I have a better-than-average grasp on electronics...

Anyway... to save money, I was thinking of using my compaq laptop as the brains. I can write a small app to monitor the power supply and send it into hibernation when it looses the car's power... BUT how the hell do I wake it up??? I'd like to avoid cutting into the laptop, as I'm sure that would void my warranty with Best Buy... BUT... I have an S-Video port on the side... I was thinking of rewiring it directly to the power button and then using a relay powered by the "ON" position in the ignition to send a pulse down an S-Video cable to trip the power switch. Anyone used anything like this??? I know it's a bit complicated... but it saves me like $500. ;-)

Welcome,

Search for "Laptop start up" and "shutdown". There are ways that to do it, but they involve modification. Of course, you could open your unit, and and disconnect the S-Video connections from the board, and wire the S-Video connector to the power button, but that would void your warranty as well.

Not sure if there is a docking station for your unit, but there are not many choices. The only other thing is you might be able to wire a solenoid and mount it in a way that it will push your power button (search here, it has been done).

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

[QUOTE=sstainbaI can write a small app to monitor the power supply and send it into hibernation when it looses the car's power... [/QUOTE]

erm windows does this anyway in the power settings!

and most Bios have this option too. you can EVEN do standby untilt he battery gets to a certain point then hibernate...isnt that amazing!

Comment

yes, windows does that EXCEPT when playing audio/video. so that means i would have to stop winamp and all that stuff... which is just a pain. if i write my own app, i can force hibernation anyway. :-)

Comment

no it doesnt. it pauses the music. and resumes playing on resume.

Comment

ahh correction,,the way i do it is I set it to do it a certain battery percentage...that forces the issue!

Comment

Working...
            X