Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I power my P3 400Mhz?

Hi!
    Im sure that its alot of threds abouts this, but then im not so very good at English (from Sweden) I ask you right here.

The problem:
    Ive have a motherbord, running a p3, 400mhz, and no i would like to but it in my car. First i thougt about using a power inverter to get my computer start runnin, but then ive thought about an "power supply" that i can use direcly from my car batteri or my ciggsocket.

Now I dont know what is the best, should I buy a DC-DC power supply here on mp3car.com, then which one, or should I just buy a power inverter?

Thanks for any help that I can get!

//
    Uffe, Sweden

Are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by OoNikFraleyoO
      Are you serious?
      If you have an answer to my question, say it! If not, don´t comment!
      I´ve been looking alot but i´ve found nothing good in it so now I´m asking here!

Comment

I suggest reading a thread I posted before.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71223

In it is some of the reasons to go with a DC-DC power supply versus going with a regular ac computer power supply and a power inverter.

These are probably the 3 best power supplies that should work for your system if you decide DC-DC

M2-ATX 160W

OPUS 150W

DSATX 220W

Some of the DC-DC power supplies you can buy have a built-in startup/shutdown controller. If it does not you may want to invest in one of these too: Micro Shutdown Controller uSDC20D
        No one ever said this stuff was easy...The Mobile Desktop
        Progress[**********]

Dolby Digital Real-time Encoding*Desktop Computer*Athlon XP Mobile*ASUS A7N8X Deluxe*Kingston Hyper X*5.25" CDRW and DVD drives*Lilliput 8" LCD*Mag 14" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by PCModifiers
          I suggest reading a thread I posted before.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71223

In it is some of the reasons to go with a DC-DC power supply versus going with a regular ac computer power supply and a power inverter.

These are probably the 3 best power supplies that should work for your system if you decide DC-DC

M2-ATX 160W

OPUS 150W

DSATX 220W

Some of the DC-DC power supplies you can buy have a built-in startup/shutdown controller. If it does not you may want to invest in one of these too: Micro Shutdown Controller uSDC20D

Thanks alot! just what i needed!

Comment

Not a problem at all. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
            Progress[**********]

Dolby Digital Real-time Encoding*Desktop Computer*Athlon XP Mobile*ASUS A7N8X Deluxe*Kingston Hyper X*5.25" CDRW and DVD drives*Lilliput 8" LCD*Mag 14" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by ibitza
              If you have an answer to my question, say it! If not, dont comment!
              Ive been looking alot but ive found nothing good in it so now Im asking here!
              And it's because of threads like this that you found nothing good.

No offense.
              Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Not a problem at all. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Hehe, Ive read your thread and Im in the same situation, so have you decided yet? power inverter or a DC-DC power supply?

Comment

P3 400 - i would say a hamster in a wheel hooked up to a dynamo could power that!

I would say either an M1-ATX or M2-ATX are perfect for you.

Comment

Well my issue was I bought the power inverter before reading anything on this forum, so I wasn't even aware DC-DC power supplies existed. I hate to let a good power inverter go to waste plus I will be powering a few extra accessories off the power supply and wasn't sure how well the 150 watt -220 watt power supplies would do.

I bought a regular computer power supply and will be testing everything out once the weather gets nicer around here. I figure if I get lots of extra noise and interference because of the power inverter I will go the DC-DC route.

From the sounds of it going with a DC-DC power supply and a startup/shutdown controller takes a lot of the extra wiring of switches to turn things off and on out of the picture. I don't plan on having my computer on at all times anyhow so starting it up and shutting it down myself via a couple of switches should be fine. I won't know for sure how I feel about my setup until I get to see it in action.

The biggest differences I see in the setups are this

DC-DC setup is more efficient
                    DC-DC setup is more automated
                    DC-DC creates less noise issues

Power inverter setup is less complicated
                    Power inverter setup in most cases is cheaper

Oh and one other thing...Scouse Monkey knows a lot of great information and is a huge help! Plus he has the hotest avatars!
                    Progress[**********]

Comment

Oh and one other thing...Scouse Monkey knows a lot of great information and is a huge help! Plus he has the hotest avatars!
                      cheers!

i really would go with an M2-atx. the M1 is more than enough but the m2 will give you a stronger 12V line to run screens and 3.5" drives off and is not much more expensive than the M1.

if shipping costs to Sweden are an issue there is always linITX and carTFT over in europe but mp3car do have good cheap american prices!

Comment

Okey, nice!

So then, should you have an extra battery or what?, if an extra, are you goung to connect it to the generator in the car or just connect it to the other battery?

My plans is also to use a power inverter, then i´m also will us some extra stuffs, but I don´t know how fast my battery would end... how do you solve that?

Scouse Monkey
                        thank for the answers, i´m not sure what to use yet, will propebly decide after that PCModifiers have told me how he solved the battery problems!

Comment

dont bother with an extra battery.

go read the FAQ section on how to wire your DC-RC psu.

the m2 will have a lot of extra power for extra stuff so DO NOT get an inverter. they are a waste of time and cause problems.

if you need more 5V power for usb stuff than your dc-dc can produce get something like the carnetix 5V POL psu that can be turned on by the main PSU. The m1, m2 and opus and DSATX all come with startup/shutdown controllers that make life so much easier.

and i repeat: do not get an inverter!

to wire it all up use an amp wiring kit - guids are in the FAQ section as i said.

Comment

I agree with Scouse Monkey on this, since you haven't bought the power inverter yet you can easily go the DC-DC route. the DC-DC setup will use less power than using a power inverter. An extra battery would be useful if you do go with a power inverter but why waste the extra money on a second battery when you can put it towards a DC-DC setup and probably have a better more useful setup in the end that consumes less power and does everything you want it to do?
                            Progress[**********]

Comment

one more thing....sorry PCmodifiers but i have to disagree with one point: inverter setups are much more complicated.

1st off you will probably need thicker wires due to the inefficiency.

2nd - you will most likely get noise issues

3rd - no built in startup.shutdown controller so need to wire up a switch or an external SDC.

4th - if you dont turn it off the car will go flat!

5th - inverters are bigger and bulkier than the latest DC-DC psus.

6th - most people find an inverter route ends up more expensive these days. the m1/m2 are so cheap they cost less than an inverter, extra relays/SDC and that is if you just re-use an old regular PSU to use with the inverter.

Comment

Working...
                              X