Do I need -5V for an AT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need -5V for an AT

I have a DC-DC power supply model: MDP-8051S , it doesn't have -5V.

do I really need it?
    if I need it, how can I get that voltage?

Im using Irman, and serial character LCD from Crystafontz.

anybody using this PS?
    www.mp3commander.tk

That really depends a lot on the motherboard you are using. I'm running an embedded mobo which only requires +5v and +12v for example.

Rob
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

not essential, BUT serial ports and some onboard sound cards need -5V to function..... since you have an Irman, your gonna need it!....

unless you can use a USB ---> serial converter.... since the USB port only has 5V+ in its plug......
      Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Can I do this?

www.mp3commander.tk

Comment

No, you can't do that, the input to the -5volt regulator should go to the -12volt rail..
          2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
          register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Sorry that was a mistake. now should be ok.
            www.mp3commander.tk

Comment

Yes, that will be fine. Though I would also put a 10uF capacitor at the input of the regultor, and add a 0.1uF unit at the output. The result will be a much more stable -5V.
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Cake
                Yes, that will be fine. Though I would also put a 10uF capacitor at the input of the regultor, and add a 0.1uF unit at the output. The result will be a much more stable -5V.
                do you mean like this?

sorry for my ignorance, I don't know much about electronics.
                www.mp3commander.tk

Comment

Ahh, I don't think you need the 220uF on the output..

Comment

Aaron Cake I need your confirmation...
                    www.mp3commander.tk

Comment

Originally posted by mp3commander

do you mean like this?

sorry for my ignorance, I don't know much about electronics.
                      That should do. Though I would switch the position of the 220uF and 10uF capacitor. And change the 10uF to 100uF.
                      Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                      Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                      "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

This is what I did.

the Output is droping like -2V
                        And the 7905 gets extremly hot. WHY??

Is something wrong?

Somebody help me!!
                        www.mp3commander.tk

Comment

Well, if you have wired it like that, it should work... If you are having problems, then you probably haven't wired it like that..

Comment

Try the regular 7905 instead of the L. Also, you will need a heatsink on the regulator regardless. How much current are you trying to draw through it? Is one of your capacitors bad?

Comment

problem solved. I thought that the 7905 pinout is like the 7805.
                              That was my mistake.

7805:
                              1. input
                              2. ground
                              3. output

7905:
                              1. Grund
                              2. input
                              3. output

Thank you for your help.
                              www.mp3commander.tk

Comment