Xenarc 700TS
    VIA EPIA SP130000
    EMU -0404 PCI card
    Travla case with M1 ATX
    1 gb pc3200 RAM
    Seagate 250 GB SATA
    NEC Slimline DVD +RW Combo

Ok some details please stay with me:
    I bought the 350 watt AC ATX PS with the intent as using as my power supply on work bench following instructions I got from threads in this forum. I created a wiring harness which connects the M1 to the ATX PS using an old molex 'Y 'cable modified to fit the one of the connectors on the ATX PS and then I used A Std three pronge Female extention cord end I had in my shop. Connected a Male version to the a wiring harness I made for the PC from the M1. Made similiar power side female harness to install in the car. This was with the intention that I would be able to fast diconnect the CarPC from my slide mount in the car and bring it in to my house as needed and have 12V DC power in both places.

All that being said this config works like a charm except for one thing:

Firstly, when I plug the ATX PS directly into my CarPC via the ATX molex connector on the SP13000 - by passing the M1 (which I did up until I finished my harness) and run my system the EMU 0404 card plays with no noise. Awesome really. However, when I hook up the ATX PS to M1 via my wire harness and run the system ATX PS exteranally, emulating my car hook up, I get all kinds of noise: power on thump, drive spin up whine, drive access noise etc from the sound card. This is no good since the primary purpose is to play my music!

Hope everone is still with me? Why is the M1 causing all this noise? Has anyone had this problem before? Should I have bought some other power supply, better choice?

Thanks
    D
    XP Pro, BIOSTAR GEFORCE 6100-M9, 1.5GB Ram, 80 GB and 320GB Sata,
    EMU0404 sound Card, Xenarc 700T, Boss Audio BX55, KAC 9102D AMP, KAC 8402 AMP

Fixed

OK I figured it out. Since about 30 views of my post were logged and no one offered to point out that it may be an ID10T error and indeed that's what it was, anyone want to guess @ what the dumb@$$ thing that I did was?

D

Comment

Poor grounding?

Comment

You got it

Poor grounding?

I kept saying to myself this sounds like a ground loop issue. But talking my self out of that thought because it was always the same power supply and not in a car..the only place I had ever heard that before.

I did not have logistical access to any stereo equipment in my work area so I had decided to use my Audigy 2 card 'line in' from my other PC for building and testing purposes.

Not being an electrical expert like so many others on here. I guess there was enough house grd when I was directly connected to the SP13000 with the external PS. But when I went with the M1 ATX internal I had a ground loop feed back between the two pc's bcause the on board grounding was in adequate. I am sure that if I am wrong on my guess about grounding some nice person will correct me.

I broke out an old reciever and speakers which I am now using for UAT testing of the software install (much to my wife's chagrin). Virtually noise free now.

D

Thanks for the reply

Comment

I get noise on my LCD from the hard drive with poor grounds.

Comment

Working...
          X