yet another power question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another power question

hi i have an old hp pavilion. everything listed there is pretty much what i have except i took out the modem card and added a sound blaster. oh and i added some ram, im up to a whopping 256! i am looking to add a usb gps receiver, and a hauppage tv/fm tuner. right now im lookin at an opus, but the price is a little high. can i go any lower? i know the processor is pretty crappy and only takes 35 watts ish. suggestions?

dunno about the power, but you might be a bit disappointed with 256MB RAM.
    Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

actually i am quite satisfied with the 256mb ram. my comp boots in 20 seconds and everything on it runs very well. however, i did start this thread for issues relating to my PS. any suggestions?

Comment

cool.. good luck!

Comment

I use the M1-ATX its pretty reliable and outputs somewhere around 96watts. I got mine for only 50 bucks off ebay.... that may be more in your price range. I also got the unit because it give consistant power even during deep crank starting (considering i have an old power demanding starter)...
          Brown 2010

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
            cool.. good luck!
            um yea doesnt really answer the question, but thats ok. im just wondering if an opus is the best solution for me, or if i should go up to the 220w supply, or down to the m1.

EDIT: link to the pc i have (plus 128mb ram and a sound blaster card)

Comment

Originally posted by tundra2000
              um yea doesnt really answer the question, but thats ok. im just wondering if an opus is the best solution for me, or if i should go up to the 220w supply, or down to the m1.

EDIT: link to the pc i have (plus 128mb ram and a sound blaster card)
              awesome!

Comment

Do you have a low wattage power supply (ac or dc) that you can test with. If it boots with that then just match that power...

I think if its an old unit just go with the M1 (its cheaper ).
                Brown 2010

Comment

You need to open that sucker up and make certain that the motherboard uses a standard 20-pin ATX connector that conforms tot he standard pin-out. There are a lot of e-PCs that either don't follow the ATX standard or use some sort of a power brick.
                  If the motherboard doesn't use the standard 20-pin connector, then an Opus, M-series or DSATX isn't going to do any good for you, and I'd suggest looking into a Carnetix unit as an alternative.

Oh, and read this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

ive read all the lovely faqs thank you very much. i cracked it open and it is the 20 pin connector (not that old). so based on the specs from earlier can anyone hint as to which way i should go, or do i have to bust get a hold of a multimeter and test each rail?

Comment

ive read all the lovely faqs thank you very much. i cracked it open and it is the 20 pin connector (not that old). so based on the specs from earlier can anyone hint as to which way i should go, or do i have to bust get a hold of a multimeter and test each rail?
                      It's not a question of how old the unit is. Many HP models, especially the small formfactor E-PCs, have a non-standard power connector on the motherboard.

If you're convinced that the motherboard power connector is ATX standard, then I believe an Opus 150w would meet your needs quite nicely.
                      How about the Wiki?

Comment

even if it isnt atx standard, is there not an adapter?

Comment

even if it isnt atx standard, is there not an adapter?
                          I doubt it. You'd probably be wiring your own.
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

Search the web...sometimes you can find a pinout...as for an adapter...not likely... These companies love to take your money so if you bust a part they can charge an arm and a leg to replace it. If you cant find a pin out.... test the voltage... If the wires are colorcoded, sometimes that can help. Usually yellow is +12v, orange is +3.3v, red is +5v, green is turn on wire, black is the ground...There are a few others i cant remeber like -5v and -12v but i know for a fact you can find that online. Good luck...
                            Brown 2010

Comment

It's hard to say. The M1 would probably work, but you would have no reserve left over. What if you want to put a newer PC in? You'd need to upgrade the PSU. I would just get the Opus 150 and not worry about it.

I had problems with 3 of the M2's so I'm a little biased towards the Opus.
                              1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
                              CarPC's in F-bodies
                              How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
                              (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
                              Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

Working...
                              X