Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about m2-atx

Hi!
    Ive read alot about the m2-atx after that Scouse Monkey recomended it.
    Ive read the manual (http://www.mp3car.com/products/Power...ATX-manual.pdf)
    and i found nothing about HOW to wire it to the car-battery.On the opius, for example, they have a fuse, do i need a fuse for my m2-atx? If i buy a m2atx from mp3car.com, does it come wires to the battery with it?

Thanks for any answers!

you get the power supply and some short leads to connect to power which will be long enough to connect to a socket on the case. You need to supply the wiring for the car itself. Yes you need a fuse as close as possible to the battery just as you do the opus or anything else you wire into the car.
    Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Originally posted by v8 scimitar
      you get the power supply and some short leads to connect to power which will be long enough to connect to a socket on the case. You need to supply the wiring for the car itself. Yes you need a fuse as close as possible to the battery just as you do the opus or anything else you wire into the car.

But why ist the manufactor of the m2-axt saying anything about a fuse in the description or manual? When to wire from the battery, you only wire from "+" to the m2-atx, and the "-" is to be grounded into the cars chasi?
      In alot of threas people talk about different sizes of the wiring cable, like 12 gauge, but for me (from Sweden) "gauge" says me nothing! what kind of messurement is "gauge"? can you explain what gauge means? sty for beeing a n00b in english language

anyway, thanks for the answer!

Comment

this is because this is basic car electronics info. You do the same thing with amps.
        Anyways the best thing is to run an 8 gauge cable with a 20 amp fuse near the battery. Don't run anything below 10 gauge or you may run into trouble.

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
        CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
        Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

Originally posted by ramy_zohair
          this is because this is basic car electronics info. You do the same thing with amps.
          Anyways the best thing is to run an 8 gauge cable with a 20 amp fuse near the battery. Don't run anything below 10 gauge or you may run into trouble.
          Really, i'd have to run 8guage or something smaller(smaller meaning lower guage) for the psu?

so 18guage from the battery to this would definetly be a bad idea?

thanks

Comment

oh yes. 18 is too thin. some people had alternator whine with 12 gauge.

Final Touches

CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
            Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

oh man this sucks, i'll have to hit up the flea market and get some wire now.

could I split the 8guage I got going to my amp without a distrobution block? or maybe a ghetto home made one? just something that would be a cheap solution.

thanks for this info, glad i found out BEFORE i tried it with 18guage.

Comment

Actually, if you check w/ most wire gauge tables (google) you'll see that for 12V DC and 15A, you should be fine w/ 18 gauge for 10 feet or less.

However, this doesn't address noise on the line (alternator whine).

You know your gauge is too small when the wire gets hot instantly...
                1997 Mustang GTS "Jenna"

VIA SP13000, 7" Xenarc TSV, 200GB, 'modified' M2-ATX, 1GB DDR400/3200, BU-353. RoadRunner + LSXVoid

Comment

plz help me translate!

1 feet = 0,3 meter

1 gauge = ???

What the **** is gauge standing for?
                  Is it the diameter of the wires or what?

Comment

Originally posted by ibitza
                    plz help me translate!

1 feet = 0,3 meter

1 gauge = ???

What the **** is gauge standing for?
                    Is it the diameter of the wires or what?
                    Yes, it's the thickness. The lower the number, the thicker the wire. 0 gauge being the thickest.

And Why the "****" are you being so rude

Final Touches

Comment

Originally posted by ramy_zohair
                      Yes, it's the thickness. The lower the number, the thicker the wire. 0 gauge being the thickest.

And Why the "****" are you being so rude

Nice!
                      But what does it messure? is it the radius or the diameter?
                      Can you messure gauge in to m^2 or something like that?

The "****" is there because im gatting crazy over the F*** gauge! Even my english teacher didt know what it was and we looked it up in a dictionary and we found nothing! But now, thanks to you, i know, allmost

Comment

A simple on "American wire gauge AWG" coughed up detailed tables and calculations within the first ten entries.

Comment

Originally posted by ibitza
                          Nice!
                          But what does it messure? is it the radius or the diameter?
                          Can you messure gauge in to m^2 or something like that?
                          it's like spaghetti. You can't compare gauge and diameter cause gauge is ascending value. (am i wrong)
                          ibus error
                          GTA skin

Comment

Don't worry about the "thin wires' sent with the M2-ATX. Power loss is proportional with cable run. It simply does not matter for this type of application.

Also, the M2-ATX (as well as any carPC PSU) is very tolerant on V(in) therefore running 'monster cables' makes little or no difference.

Of course for runs longer than 10ft, I would use something like AWG-14 or better.

-Andrei
                            P.S. I can jack up the cost on the M2-ATX by $20 and deliver it with 'gold plated monster cables", do you want that?

Originally posted by redbullah
                            it's like spaghetti. You can't compare gauge and diameter cause gauge is ascending value. (am i wrong)

Comment

Working...
                            X