power destro info needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power destro info needed

Ok i need to rewire my pc since i have been running my 150w opus off my factory radio harness
    So my plan is to replace the 8g wire from the battery to the audio amp with 4g wite to a power disto box and then 12g to the opus and 8g to the amp.
    My questions
    Most distro boxes are 8g out so what do i do about running 12g wire from the opus to the distibution box?
    Also should i use a ground distributior or ground the amp and opus individually?

Any recomandations on distribution boxes would be appreciated.

The 8 AWG out on a distro block means the MAX guage wire is 8 AWG. Most work by clamping the wire with a screw, which will clamp any guage of wire that is 8 AWG or smaller.

My setup involves 4 AWG from battery to distro block in boot. Then 8 AWG from distro to amp and 12 AWG from distro to PC.

Hope this helps.
    CarPC
    Intel Pentium 3
    CPU 1GHz
    512 SD-RAM
    200G HDD
    Power Supply
    M2-ATX
    Monitor
    7" In-Dash VGA Touchscreen
    Non-Motorized
    GPS
    USB Receiver
    Software
    N'Lited Windows XP
    Centrafuse RC4
    Running built in Destinator with Aust Maps

Comment

Which distro do you have and where did you buy it?

DO you also have a distro for GND?
      2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
      2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

Comment

I am in Australia so it wont help knowing where i bought mine from... It looks exactly like this though

Two Way Distribution Block

Cheers
        CarPC
        Intel Pentium 3
        CPU 1GHz
        512 SD-RAM
        200G HDD
        Power Supply
        M2-ATX
        Monitor
        7" In-Dash VGA Touchscreen
        Non-Motorized
        GPS
        USB Receiver
        Software
        N'Lited Windows XP
        Centrafuse RC4
        Running built in Destinator with Aust Maps

Comment

thanks alot newers. If anyone knows good distrobution boxes please inform.

Comment

Check out this one, not bad for only $24.00 here, but I saw it for as low as $19.99, also it has a digital voltmeter
            http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/pda48x4d.html

1-4AWG to 4-8AWG

16.90 here:
            http://www.buyreliant.com/efx/efxdistribution.htm

Comment

Originally posted by newers
              The 8 AWG out on a distro block means the MAX guage wire is 8 AWG. Most work by clamping the wire with a screw, which will clamp any guage of wire that is 8 AWG or smaller.

My setup involves 4 AWG from battery to distro block in boot. Then 8 AWG from distro to amp and 12 AWG from distro to PC.

Hope this helps.
              So basically any distro block with an 8 AWG output can be used for 16AWG wire? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a distro block for my OPUS 120, for which I'll be using an 8 AWG input (from the battery) to the 2 16AWG wires which come with the OPUS for 12V positive. Basically, 1 x 8AWG input to 2 x 16AWG output. If I'm going to put a fuse right next to the battery (on the 8AWG wire), is it necessary/desirable for the distro block to be fused as well? Can that contribute to a degraded signal / added resistance?

Originally posted by checksum
              Check out this one, not bad for only $24.00 here, but I saw it for as low as $19.99, also it has a digital voltmeter
              http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/pda48x4d.html
              These things are all over ebay. I wonder, though, how much voltage/amperage will be drawn by the voltmeter itself? It's a nice feature to have, but not if it means the battery will be getting that little bit of extra draw...

Also, I plan to run the two 16AWG GROUND wires from the OPUS to the battery negative terminal. Is it safe to just run 2 x 16AWG wires all the way to the battery, or should they go through a ground distro block? Or, if I ground them in the trunk, will/could that cause problems in terms of the audio signal coming from the computer if they're not grounded at battery negative or at common ground?

'01
              Hang on while I defragment my car...

the Acura ITX project
              the Acura ITX skin for RoadRunner
              project progress: 99%

Comment

So basically any distro block with an 8 AWG output can be used for 16AWG wire?
                Yes, you can use 16AWG wire on a 8 AWG output on the distro, the hole is just gonna be bigger. Nothing to worry about.
                Remember the distro block is just there to split the wires, the main concern here is not the distro, but the wires that you gonna run into it.
                If I'm going to put a fuse right next to the battery (on the 8AWG wire), is it necessary/desirable for the distro block to be fused as well? Can that contribute to a degraded signal / added resistance?
                That's just like putting 2 fuses in a row, which is unecessary, if your distro block is fused, then you don't need to run any aditionnal fusses to the battery.
                Also, I plan to run the two 16AWG GROUND wires from the OPUS to the battery negative terminal. Is it safe to just run 2 x 16AWG wires all the way to the battery, or should they go through a ground distro block? Or, if I ground them in the trunk, will/could that cause problems in terms of the audio signal coming from the computer if they're not grounded at battery negative or at common ground?
                I think it is better to have a common ground (ie: one single wire for the whole ground) and they should all have a common source (ie: the battery termina - ), otherwise you might introduce what is called ground loop, which can cause some trouble. Avoid using the car chassis as a ground terminal, run them all from the battery, ideally through a distro block as well.
                These things are all over ebay. I wonder, though, how much voltage/amperage will be drawn by the voltmeter itself? It's a nice feature to have, but not if it means the battery will be getting that little bit of extra draw...
                It's just a display, so I assume it will draw current in the order of mA. I don't know if that will drain the battery when the car is off and it keeps reading the voltage, or if it will turn off if no current is drawn.
                There is another version without the display though.

Comment

That's just like putting 2 fuses in a row, which is unecessary, if your distro block is fused, then you don't need to run any aditionnal fusses to the battery.
                  But if the distro block is in the trunk, wouldn't it be better to have a fuse right next to the battery, to protect the whole length of wire as it runs from the battery, under the hood, under the carpets, to the trunk?

I think it is better to have a common ground (ie: one single wire for the whole ground) and they should all have a common source (ie: the battery termina - ), otherwise you might introduce what is called ground loop, which can cause some trouble. Avoid using the car chassis as a ground terminal, run them all from the battery, ideally through a distro block as well.
                  I was planning to ground my LCD using an internal molex connector, since I'm supplying power to the LCD via molex as well (being behind the OPUS, the molex will provide regulated power to the LCD).

Should the LCD ground go to the same ground as the OPUS instead? If the LCD should be grounded to the same place as the OPUS, then I would be grounding 2 x 16AWG from the OPUS, and 1 x 16AWG from the LCD. (That would mean running a ground wire from the LCD back to the trunk, joining it with the two GND wires from the OPUS, and then via the GND distro block back to the front of the car and to the battery. Or, the GND distro block could be put under the dash, 2 x 16AWG from the OPUS connected to it, and the LCD in the dash connected to it, then forward to the battery.)

Either way, what Gauge should the wire be on the *other* side of the ground distro block (i.e. the length of wire that goes from the GND distro to the battery negative terminal) ? Or, is it fine to just use the internal molex connector to handle the grounding for the LCD and run the 2 OPUS GND's via GND distro to the battery?

'01
                  Hang on while I defragment my car...

the Acura ITX project
                  the Acura ITX skin for RoadRunner
                  project progress: 99%

Comment

Originally posted by newers

Hope this helps.

I already have 4 AWG running to my current amp. I also have some extra 8 AWG in my garage. I am planning on running my 4 AWG to a power distro and then 8 AWG to my amp and since I will have some extra 8 AWG can I just run the rest of the 8 AWG from the distro to my Opus 150W or should I get 12 AWG?

Comment

Originally posted by 01black_ac
                      But if the distro block is in the trunk, wouldn't it be better to have a fuse right next to the battery, to protect the whole length of wire as it runs from the battery, under the hood, under the carpets, to the trunk?

I was planning to ground my LCD using an internal molex connector, since I'm supplying power to the LCD via molex as well (being behind the OPUS, the molex will provide regulated power to the LCD).

Should the LCD ground go to the same ground as the OPUS instead? If the LCD should be grounded to the same place as the OPUS, then I would be grounding 2 x 16AWG from the OPUS, and 1 x 16AWG from the LCD. (That would mean running a ground wire from the LCD back to the trunk, joining it with the two GND wires from the OPUS, and then via the GND distro block back to the front of the car and to the battery. Or, the GND distro block could be put under the dash, 2 x 16AWG from the OPUS connected to it, and the LCD in the dash connected to it, then forward to the battery.)

Either way, what Gauge should the wire be on the *other* side of the ground distro block (i.e. the length of wire that goes from the GND distro to the battery negative terminal) ? Or, is it fine to just use the internal molex connector to handle the grounding for the LCD and run the 2 OPUS GND's via GND distro to the battery?

'01
                      If you are using the power molex to power your LCD, then you should use the internal GND on that molex connector.

For GND going to the distro block to the battery, people usually use 4AWG wire.

If you going to use a distro block, then you should put the fuse inside the distro block.

battery---4awg---distro+fuses---8awg----->

Comment

Working...
                      X