Bench Power Suppy - Amps Needed for testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Power Suppy - Amps Needed for testing

Sorry if I missed this in my searching, I am doing a Mac Mini install with a P1900 Carnetix PS and want to test everything in my house.

To power the P1900 I want to use a Bench PS, but I would like to get the cheapest possible since I will never use it after this, is there a min Amp output that I need to run the P1900 or just the voltage. The cheap ones usually have less than 3 amps, will that work?

I seen the link to make my own out of a ATX PS but I would rather just buy one.

Thanks

Just get an older ATX PSU and jump the power switch together with a peice of wire, super easy.

Comment

P=I*V, thus I(max)=P(max)/V. P=120watts, assuming V=20V, I=6amps.
      MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
      Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

Just thought I would offer my .02 here.

I bought a 4-6Amp 13.8volt bench power supply to test my system out before putting in my car. My PSU is an Opus 120 and motherboard is SP13000. Anyway, the PSU would make the CPU fan spin, but it wouldn't even POST even with no memory or HDD connected.

I sent an email to Opus asking if there was a problem and they said that I need to have at a minimum 9-10Amp Bench power supply to adequatly supply power to my Motherboard.

I haven't tried it yet. I too have been just using an ATX power supply, but when I get the chance I'll return it for a higher Amp bench PS.

Comment

Originally posted by MrPerfectionest
          Just get an older ATX PSU and jump the power switch together with a peice of wire, super easy.
          Ditto. Never had a problem with a decent ATX PSU.

Comment

Thank You, thats what I was wondering. I have a few old ATX PS laying around but I don't know if i feel like modding one (even if easy), I might just buy the bigger Bench PS at radio shack and then sell it on ebay when I'm done.

Comment

Did you try it WITH memory???

I set my carputer up using an old 2amp 12v transformer, hooked up to a M1-ATX. Looks kind of like a laptop power thingy. Worked like a charm.

-ZtH01

Originally posted by dark1
              Just thought I would offer my .02 here.

I bought a 4-6Amp 13.8volt bench power supply to test my system out before putting in my car. My PSU is an Opus 120 and motherboard is SP13000. Anyway, the PSU would make the CPU fan spin, but it wouldn't even POST even with no memory or HDD connected.

I sent an email to Opus asking if there was a problem and they said that I need to have at a minimum 9-10Amp Bench power supply to adequatly supply power to my Motherboard.

I haven't tried it yet. I too have been just using an ATX power supply, but when I get the chance I'll return it for a higher Amp bench PS.
              -ZtH01
              "It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night"

Comment

you're funny. Of course I did. Even without memory the Motherboard should POST and give a memory error. I was trying to say that I removed things that consumed power thinking I was underpowering the motherboard. And I was, but removing the memory and HDD had no effect.

Comment

Working...
                X