Battery saver in Europe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery saver in Europe?

Does anybody know where I can buy this from in EU???

http://www.koolatron.com/electronics/12vbatsav.html

It's for saving my battery when I forget the comuter in STR.

Thanx,
    Dimitris

Would it not be better and safer to buy jeffs shutdown controller?

Comment

Maybe not, because Dimitris1976 uses Suspend to RAM and never completely shuts his computer down. But he still has to worry about not leaving it that way for too long or the battery will drain too far.

Have you thought about adding a second battery with an isolator so it only drains the aux. battery?
      1983 BMW 733i
      Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
      Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

Jamachine you posted an equally useless reply to my similar post. The idea here is that we don't want to shut our machines down because we don't want to wait for them to boot up. Therefore the solution is in finding a way to keep the PC alive in the car longer, not finding a way to shut it down; that problem has already been solved for months, ie Jeff's shutdown controller.

Comment

Jeff's shut down controller is still usefull in my setup
          (I actually use another circuit
          http://bjblaster.tripod.com/Carputer...bjcarputer.htm
          (scroll down)
          that does the exact same thing) in order to hit the power button after 15mins and put the computer into STR mode.
          I need the battery saver for the reasons Falcon62Travis mentioned.
          I don't see why I should use an extra battery and a battery isolator though... The main battery gives you more than 4 days (maybe more, but that's how much I tried it 'till now) of stand by time in STR without totaly draining the battery (the car started right away). Keep in mind that my car has a battery of only 55Ah!
          What's the point having a second battery (most propably smaller=less stand by time in STR) to let run flat everytime (batteries are destroyed when completely discharged acouple of times) and then having to keep the engine running for more than you actually need the car in order to fully charge it again? Not to mention the extra weight, space in the trunk, cabling and money you need for this.

So...anybody found this batt saver in Europe?
          Or a schematic to build such a circuit?

Comment

Wow. 4 days is a LOT longer that I expected. I plan on using STR in my next setup also.
            I don't know how much damage you're going to do to your battery draining it and charging it all the time but I was thinking of a full size Deep Cycle (Marine) battery as the second.

But I will agree that a Battery saver is easier and will do the job...
            1983 BMW 733i
            Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
            Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

Do you think I could use this circuit:

http://archives.e-insite.net/archive...2696/20di5.htm

instead of the koolatron product?

How many Amps can this MOSFET transistor handle?
              Does it reconnect the battery to the load as soon as the voltage rises?

Comment

The next shudown controller will have an option were you can set the shutdown to wait until the voltage hits a certian point before it calls a shutdown.

Would this be a good feature?
                Rather than a timer, just wait till the battery is at a certian voltage and then call a shutdown. If it is less than 11 volts for say, 1 minute, then shutdown. That way if you restart your car with the computer on. it doesn't care, but if the battery drops that low long enough, it will shutdown.

Jeff
                MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
                www.mpegbox.com

Comment

That would definitely be the icing on the cake Jeff.

Comment

Jeff,

that would be a really nice feature. I would prefer it though, if this voltage sencing circuit didn't send a ATX pulse (ATX pulse still with a timer) but instead control the relay that disconnects the battery.
                    I want this for my setup for the following reasons:

1) I don't want my LCD screen to "shine" in my car for so long if I forget the pc on. It's like screaming "steal me!".
                    2) I would like to have the ATX pulse at 15mins in order to put the PC in STR and then the battery disconnection when the voltage will drop at 11 volts (after some days).

By the way.... Jeff,

could you tell me how am I gonna build a circuit like the one you described? Not the new shut down controller you are planning, just circuit that controls a relay (or a MOSFET) and disconnects the load when the voltage drops at 11volts (with the 1min delay, so that it doesn't disconnect when I crank the engine).

Comment

Dimitris,
                      Tried to view the jpg version of your soft shutdown circuit, but got a pic with large horizontal sections missing. No circuit. Then d/l the s/w for Protel, and looked at the Protel version of your circuit, but I must admit, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Have you got a simple jpg link you could post here?
                      Wellfooled
                      Workin' on an mp3 Sequoia

Comment

Wellfooled,

first of all I want to make clear that neither the homepage nor the shut down controler schematic I posted is mine. They belong to a guy named Beau from Australia who is also a member of this forum (Name: BJ).
                        Anyway, I just tried to see the jpg version of the schematic and it came up very nice and clear. It could be your browser's settings/version.

Comment

Dimitris,
                          You were right. Different computer, different browser, different result.

Thank you.
                          Wellfooled
                          Workin' on an mp3 Sequoia

Comment

Working...
                          X