Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused Newbie!

Hello,

I'm quite the newbie to this forum, and truth be told havnt the first clue about this stuff.

I have the following spec desktop machine, and am hoping to get it working in the trunk of my car.

AMD 2300 XP
    256 SDRAM
    80G USB HD
    ATA Motherboard
    2 USB Webcams
    300W PSU

As far an I understand, I think I need to strip out my current PSU and replace it with a 90W / 150W Opus one.

Also I think I need a DC to AC inverter to power it.

As for Startup / Shutdown controlers, I havnt a clue.

I dont need a monitor right now since the software I intend to write will start and resume with the computer.

I have a power feed accessable from an audio connection which connects to the ignition... BTW I have a 530i BMW...

Please tell me if i am on the right track or not...

Thanks.

Originally posted by ijwalla
    As far an I understand, I think I need to strip out my current PSU and replace it with a 90W / 150W Opus one.

Also I think I need a DC to AC inverter to power it.

As for Startup / Shutdown controlers, I havnt a clue.
    The Opus 150w unit is probably a little weak on the 12v rail for what you want. And with the Opus PSU (or comparable unit), you don't need an inverter or a shutdown controller. It's all built into the unit.
    I presently have a DSATX unit and am very happy with it. I think it would do well in your setup, as well.

Read this:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
    It will explain a lot.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
      The Opus 150w unit is probably a little weak on the 12v rail for what you want. And with the Opus PSU (or comparable unit), you don't need an inverter or a shutdown controller. It's all built into the unit.
      I presently have a DSATX unit and am very happy with it. I think it would do well in your setup, as well.

Read this:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
      It will explain a lot.

Thanks, that helped a great deal.
      I dont know much about electrical engineering, but suppose I bought the DSATX and later on down the line decided to swich to a lower powered computer e.g. a P2 / P3.

Will I be wasting my vehicles power by using the DSATX or will it be worthwhile to also switch over to a lower powered PSU e.g. Opus 150. Do these units draws only the power that is actually need from the car battery?

Also do these PSU's need tying into an ignition 12v feed or can they be connected directly to the battery?

Thank again.

Comment

If you got the DSATX, your power needs should be covered for just about any system you want to put in your car, within reason.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
        X