Power Antenna Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Antenna Ideas?

I am looking for a way to add a simple command file or program to have an external controller (serial or USB) for collapsing my power antenna for the car wash. Does anyone know of anything or have any ideas? Since I want to remove my current radio out of the car to install my CarPuter, I want to make sure I can do this.....

Thanks,

Ed

First step is to figure out how the antenna is controlled. Is it a simple DC reversible motor? Or do you need to send pulsed signals for stepper or servo motors? How does the antenna know when it is fully retracted or fully extended? Are there sensors for its travel or sensors at current load of the motor? Something else?

-psyrex
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

Originally posted by kb9nlk
      I am looking for a way to add a simple command file or program to have an external controller (serial or USB) for collapsing my power antenna for the car wash. Does anyone know of anything or have any ideas? Since I want to remove my current radio out of the car to install my CarPuter, I want to make sure I can do this.....

Thanks,

Ed
      Why don't you just use a switch?

How do you expect us to help you when we don't even know what kind of car you have. There are threads about this already if you search.
      ~Jimmy

Comment

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport limited. The car itself seems to have a relay that controls the antenna up/dn function. The stop on the antenna is a hardware stop on the antenna itself.

Basically what I am looking for is a way to produce a remote wire similar to my existing wire on my radio, but have direct control through a GUI and not by using a switch. Yes, I realize the switch is the easiest route, but to me that is cheesey and want an integrated way to do this via PC so I can keep the PC on at all times and have direct control over the antenna.

Jimmy,
        I have searched the forum, but have not came across anything with what I am trying to figure out. If you know where other threads are, please pass them on.

Comment

Couldn't you just use your o/p port & a port control program? There's loads on the net. Simply program it to feed a voltage a pin on the port when you tell it to.

The only problem you may have is the o/p port's voltage, i believe it can only give out 5vdc so you would probably need a small relay or something to give it 12v (presuming the antenna requires 12v)
          (>'.')> Dance Kirby! Dance For Me!! <('.'<)

Comment

Okay sounds good.... I will look around and see what I can come up with. Have any links right off hand to give me a place to start?

Thanks!

Comment

Can't think of any particular programs because there are so many. Just search google for parallel port control programs
              (>'.')> Dance Kirby! Dance For Me!! <('.'<)

Comment

if you dont have a free par. port then you could use the usb phidget relay board
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                X