No announcement yet.

M2-ATX amp turn on @3.6V, can I use my 12v Ignition line?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX amp turn on @3.6V, can I use my 12v Ignition line?

So I did some searching on the M2-ATX problem with the amp turn on not getting enough volts, and it seemed that the suggestion is to use a relay. The post said if you had a 5v amp turn on output, well mine is lower at 3.6v.

My question is, since I already have a 12v ignition line going to my M2-ATX, can I just use that line as well to splice into my amp turn on? (not into the CarPC am p turn on, but into the amp turn on line that runs to my amp, and equalizer)

I don't see why I can't, so please, if it wont work tell me before I fry something

Yeah, that will work fine. You'll have some turn on thump that you may not have otherwise, and your amps/eq/xover will be on whenever the key is on (they will not be controlled by your source, which is your carputer, I assume) but you won't damage anything. The remote line is just an unregulated 12V source that tells the amps and stuff to turn on.

Ok, so you confirmed what I thought. I am curious though, if its the same voltage as the the amp turn on signal should be, why would it thump?

The thump happens because the amp is on when the PC is booting up. Boot up your computer with normal speakers or headphones plugged in - you can hear a small thump when the computer initializes the sound card. The amp turn on lead on the M2-ATX is there, not because it's specialized in turning on amps, but simply because it waits a certain period of time to turn on the amp after the PC is switched on. This way your amp is not enabled until after your PC initializes the sound card.