Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I bench test my carpc using a battery charger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I bench test my carpc using a battery charger?

My battery charger is adjustable either 2 or 6 amps. I have the opus 150 watt power supply and currently I am using a standard power supply as I get everything installed. Before I mounted the pc in my car I wanted to test it using the battery charger. Anyone see and issue with this?

Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by jac1502
      My battery charger is adjustable either 2 or 6 amps. I have the opus 150 watt power supply and currently I am using a standard power supply as I get everything installed. Before I mounted the pc in my car I wanted to test it using the battery charger. Anyone see and issue with this?
      Ya. It is not meant for that.

2-6 amps MIGHT be enough. Why not just get another ATX supply and use that? THey are pretty cheap these days.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

So i guess that is not a good idea? I would think it would be no worse than a car cranking and alternator spikes, but not sure

Comment

I have one and built and loaded the system using it i just wanted to be sure the opus will give me all the power i need with no issues before i put it in the car

Comment

Considering the Opus only outputs 5A, it should work fine
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have one and built and loaded the system using it i just wanted to be sure the opus will give me all the power i need with no issues before i put it in the car
              Use can use an ATX PS to power the Opus to make sure it will run your carputer. I am looking for a link that describes it.

Michael

Here are some

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9208

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=25

You then just cut off one of the molex HD connectors, and use the Yellow for 12 volts ( I think it is yellow is 12 volts, and red is 5, but I could be mixed up on that one), and Black for ground. Doesn't matter which black.

There you go, a ps for your DC-DC PS to test indoors.

Michael
              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I would assume it would just be

opus ATX
                12v >12V yellow (maybe off the a drive power connection?)
                ign > 12V yellow
                ground > ground

Comment

you beat me typing thanks!

Comment

That and a small battery would work great
                    Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

I would assume it would just be

opus ATX
                      12v >12V yellow (maybe off the a drive power connection?)
                      ign > 12V yellow
                      ground > ground

After reading this thread needing to do the exact same thing (an easy way to perform in-house maintenance on the carpc without having to unplug the dc-dc powersupply each time), I came up with an Opus -> HD Molex connector. I even followed the shorting of the PSU "always-on" instructions. However, my DC-DC will not fire, and I get no CarPC power. Please reference the pictures below to see what I've done and if I totally screwed it up somewhere along the way.

Thanks (and yes I know, my fingers are in horrible shape, I had just finished doing yardwork and started in on the carpc stuff)

replicant
                      Audi A4 (flickr pics)

Comment

any help or suggestions on this would be awesome. thanks.
                        replicant
                        Audi A4 (flickr pics)

Comment

Working...
                        X