Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M2-ATX 160W vs. OPUS 120 -- what are pro and cons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX 160W vs. OPUS 120 -- what are pro and cons?

I am having a hard time to decide what to go with. To me, looks like they both with come with pretty good characteristics.

Also I am new to this. But correct me if I am wrong -- I do not need a voltage regulator with these power supplies do I??

Thanks,
    Vlad
    f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

I have the Opus 120 and love it. Great tech support too (email and phone).

Rich
    http://www.mybimmer.net

Comment

To counter, I have an M2, and I love it.
      And the purpose of the PSU is to regulate it somewhat, so no, you don't need a seperate regulator.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Well, M2-ATX: 160W while OPUS 120: 120W. You can do the math yourself.

You won't need a power regulator for either of these power supplies.
        EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

I checked your website I see you've used both of the psu I asked about, and you decided to stay with M2-ATX. Why did you choose that? I am more concerned about technical aspects.
          Thanks.
          f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

I have heard that the Opus is like the cadillac of PSU's but in my opinion, the M2 works just as well and provides more power for half the cost. So if you really do have to swap out a faulty M2, then the total for two will still be less than the cost of 1 Opus. I don't see my M2 crapping out anytime soon, but knock on wood right?!
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Thank you guys... I was concerned about power regulator the most.
              f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

Now reading O'reilly pc car hacks book and just read this, decided to post here:

Opus Solutions's (http://www.opussolutions.com) 150W power supply, which leads the bunch, can deal with input voltages ranging from 7.5V to 18V. Mpegbox (http://www.mpegbox.net) makes a 70W power supply that can regulate to 12V voltages from 8V to 15V. Mini-box (http://www.mini-box.com) has recently released the M1-ATX, a 90W ATX power supply that is the smallest and, at $80, the cheapest fully crank-proof power supply.
                p.s. book is a little outdated that's why it says M1-ATX "just released". But anyway, I just wasn't certain that M1-ATX was crank-proof. Now I think I am almost decided on Morrex bos with M1-ATX.
                f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

Both the M1 and M2 are designed to survive crank. I have no idea what your design consists of but I just wanted to say make sure the M1-ATX is enough power for your setup. It only provides 2A on the 12V rail.

Comment

With the really minor price difference (Digital Worldwide actually sells the M1 and M2 for the same price) I don't know why you wouldn't go with the M2. I have an M2 that is working great, and another that was just RMAed due to frying on the third boot. I have had an Opus 150 for a flawless year and a half. I have become pretty convinced that the Opus is of higher quality, but that is a highly debated subject.

Comment

Oh I am definitely going with M2. I just didn't know it was engine crank safe. Now that I saw M1 is, that measn M2 is definitely safe, too. Thank you guys!
                      f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

Working...
                      X