keep getting flat battery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keep getting flat battery?

at first I thought my battery was just rubbish or that maybe I had a short somewhere and it was draining the power....

but if I disconect the opus 150w power supply my battery wont go flat...

but when its conected... if I leave my car just over night... it will be flat

making using the pc impossible?

anyone got any ideas?
    Living the dream!

AMD Athlon 1700
    512mb ram
    7 inch toch sceen
    wireless
    bluetooth
    GPS

See my car and setup
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847490/1

[++++++----] 60% finished

Hi, is it possible that you put your PC in standby, or do you have any USB devices. Search this forum there was problems with USB devices consuming power from Opus after shutdown.

Comment

yes I do have USB devices

a bluetooth stick and a usb device that goes to my screen and a usb device that powers my GPS thing

also there running through a USB hub
      Living the dream!

AMD Athlon 1700
      512mb ram
      7 inch toch sceen
      wireless
      bluetooth
      GPS

See my car and setup
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847490/1

[++++++----] 60% finished

Comment

Simply measure the PC current when it's off. Typical would be around 200mA off and 300mA in standby. If this is the case your PC is normal.

How did you check your battery? It may not be holding a charge like it should.
        1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
        CarPC's in F-bodies
        How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
        (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
        Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

man ppl just dont search, this has about 10,000 threads about DISABLE USB.
          theres two ways
          1. contact opussolutions
          2. www.fmev.com
          The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
          CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
          PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
          Memory:1G
          Drives:160gig
          WI-FI:Cingular
          GPS:IG2k9
          Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
          The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Originally posted by john1701
            man ppl just dont search, this has about 10,000 threads about DISABLE USB.
            theres two ways
            1. contact opussolutions
            2. www.fmev.com
            What do you mean by "DISABLE USB"?
            What can opussolutions do?
            CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

The Opus 150W is design base on ATX spec. By that, it mean the PSU still regulates power for StandBy. Take a look at your home PC. With the PC off, pick up a USB optical mouse and wonder by the LED is ON or the keyboard light is lit. STBY is there to power the mobo for WOR, WOL, Timer, Keyboard boot or whatever.
              Most mobos provide power to USB from STBY. So it will drain some juice out of the PSU. The mobo I use (Asus A7N8X-VM/400) has a selectable power source for specific USB ports via jumper. The mobo can either provide power to first 2 USB ports from STBY and the other 4 ports from 5V rail.
              Now the more usb devices you plug into your system, the faster your battery goes flat.
              There are a few thread regarding disable power to USB devices when PC is off.

You can email/call opussolutions and ask them to modified the PSU to shutdown power on STBY when the PSU is "OFF".
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I see what you mean, but you can't confuse USB with the 5vsb. Some people like myself use standby. Disabling the 5vsb in the opus is not an option for some.
                USB devices on the other hand CAN be disabled while still using standby.

Best thing is to measure the load while off. Even using standby as well as powering several USB devices a good battery should last for a few days at least. If not, your battery may be weak.
                Again, best thing to do is actually load test the battery.
                CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

The DSATX and the uSDC20D as well as the DSX12VD have features when the ignition goes off and the timers expire, it will "pull the plug" meaning it won't draw hardly any power at all. You could leave it in this state for a month and still start your car. The OPUS supplies don't have this feature.

One thing you could do is put a uSDC20D in front of your OPUS and you would solve this problem..

-Jeff
                  MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
                  www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by zootjeff
                    The DSATX and the uSDC20D as well as the DSX12VD have features when the ignition goes off and the timers expire, it will "pull the plug" meaning it won't draw hardly any power at all. You could leave it in this state for a month and still start your car. The OPUS supplies don't have this feature.

One thing you could do is put a uSDC20D in front of your OPUS and you would solve this problem..

-Jeff
                    Well, the Opus 150 doesn't have that feature, but I think the 120 and 90 does, if I remember correctly.

The main thing I don't like about my Opus 150 is that it doesn't monitor battery voltage when the PC is off or in standby. It will turn off the PC when the voltage gets to 11.3v, but only when it's on and running. I also don't want the PSU controller to turn off the main power after a time limit. Can that uSDC20D monitor the battery voltage in standby, when off or in a hanged state and then I set the low voltage cutoff to say 11.6v and have it function correctly to save my battery?

Can you say what the uSDC20D costs?
                    CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

Originally posted by JasonWW
                      Well, the Opus 150 doesn't have that feature, but I think the 120 and 90 does, if I remember correctly.

The main thing I don't like about my Opus 150 is that it doesn't monitor battery voltage when the PC is off or in standby. It will turn off the PC when the voltage gets to 11.3v, but only when it's on and running. I also don't want the PSU controller to turn off the main power after a time limit. Can that uSDC20D monitor the battery voltage in standby, when off or in a hanged state and then I set the low voltage cutoff to say 11.6v and have it function correctly to save my battery?

Can you say what the uSDC20D costs?
                      The uSDC20D will monitor your computer while on, but it won't allow you to hibernate or standby. The uSDC20D will pull the plug to the whole computer.

11.3 volts isn't the right voltage for everyone. The uSDC20D and the DSATX have little tweaks that allow you to set the voltage from 10-12 volts.
                      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

The uSDC20D will monitor your computer while on, but it won't allow you to hibernate or standby. The uSDC20D will pull the plug to the whole computer.

11.3 volts isn't the right voltage for everyone. The uSDC20D and the DSATX have little tweaks that allow you to set the voltage from 10-12 volts.
                        11.3 is too low for me, 11.6 will still allow for a crank, that's why I wanted to adjust it a little.

I guess I understand about it not letting you use standby, but Hibernate? The PC should be off after hibernating so turning all power off shouldn't effect that. Also keep in mind that the battery shouldn't go down to the cutoff voltage except under rare circumstances. If the timer circuit can be turned off, it should still work in standby. As long as it monitors the battery voltage. If it should reach my preset cutoff voltage (rare) it can cut power completely. It shouldn't hurt anything using WINXP. It will just do a full boot the next time it starts up.

Are you saying the timer circuit on the uSDC20D can't be turned off?
                        CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

11.3 is too low for me, 11.6 will still allow for a crank, that's why I wanted to adjust it a little.

I guess I understand about it not letting you use standby, but Hibernate? The PC should be off after hibernating so turning all power off shouldn't effect that. Also keep in mind that the battery shouldn't go down to the cutoff voltage except under rare circumstances. If the timer circuit can be turned off, it should still work in standby. As long as it monitors the battery voltage. If it should reach my preset cutoff voltage (rare) it can cut power completely. It shouldn't hurt anything using WINXP. It will just do a full boot the next time it starts up.

Are you saying the timer circuit on the uSDC20D can't be turned off?
                          If you never let ACC go low, then the uSDC20D will do that.

The problem here is the chicken and the egg. The uSDC20D draws about 60 mA (0.060 A) when it is on and monitoring the voltage (relay on). When it is in sleep, it draws 60 micro amps (uA) (0.000060 A) (relay off, acc low). When it is in a low voltage state and not in sleep it draws 3mA (0.003 A) (relay off, monitor on). If it goes to sleep, it will really kill just about all power, but in sleep it isn't looking at any voltages, it is just looking for the ACC to go high again. If you want to keep any power to the down stream device, you can't let it go to sleep. If you wired it up with ACC just kept high, or tied to a switch to the ACC of your car, then when you wanted to hibernate, you just leave the uSDC on all the time allways drawing 60 mA until the voltage drops below the threshold at which point, it will pull the plug and still draw 3mA, but that won't kill your battery for quite a while.

Would that work for you?

Are you sure you can hibernate without +5VSB?
                          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

If you never let ACC go low, then the uSDC20D will do that.

Are you sure you can hibernate without +5VSB?
                            If I want it to turn on and off with the ignition the ACC has to go low. Correct?
                            I don't see a way the uSDC20D would work for me in my application.

When the PC hibernates all power is cut. You can safely unplug everything etc...
                            CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

If I want it to turn on and off with the ignition the ACC has to go low. Correct?
                              I don't see a way the uSDC20D would work for me in my application.

When the PC hibernates all power is cut. You can safely unplug everything etc...

Well everything is working fine right now except for your dead battery right?

Basically you connect the uSDC20D in line with whatever you have now. You hard wire ACC of the uSDC20D to the same as VIN, (the plus of the battery) Then you leave your setup connected as is with ACC on the Opus ACC. Then the uSDC20D is just preventing your battery from dying. Then you get temperature protection and battery protection from the uSDC and the OPUS does everything it does now.

Is that not what I discribed above?
                              www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X