PC wont post I dont get it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC wont post I dont get it

OK to start with.... car PC has been fine for like 6 months now its developed problems....

it would take ages to come on and suddenly go off on its own...

so ive stipped it down and re-built it.... tested it on house power supply and it works mint...

put it in the car.... turn on ignition....

then It powers up... light comes on solid.... fans spin.... but no beeps and nothing on the screen!!!!

whats going on? or what have I done?

its a opus 150 power supply
    Living the dream!

AMD Athlon 1700
    512mb ram
    7 inch toch sceen
    wireless
    bluetooth
    GPS

See my car and setup
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847490/1

[++++++----] 60% finished

I recomend testing your car charging system, most parts stores will do this for free. It will give you info on your battery, alternator and voltage regulator. If they are all healthy it is the car PC (power supply).

You could also try the bare minimum PC parts to boot and play music, if that works add one component at a time to see what is causing the trouble.

If it is not the car or the exrtras on the PC, send an email to OPUS detailing what you just said.... as much info as you can give them, system specs, car info.

Good luck.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
      I recomend testing your car charging system, most parts stores will do this for free. It will give you info on your battery, alternator and voltage regulator. If they are all healthy it is the car PC (power supply).

You could also try the bare minimum PC parts to boot and play music, if that works add one component at a time to see what is causing the trouble.

If it is not the car or the exrtras on the PC, send an email to OPUS detailing what you just said.... as much info as you can give them, system specs, car info.

Good luck.
      Sounds like a power issue. When you brought it inside and it was "mint", were you powering it with the OPUS, or with an ATX supply.

If with an ATX supply, and you determine that the vehicles electrical system is stillup to par (perhaps the alternator or battery is dying) then it is MOST LIKELY the OPUS.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
        Sounds like a power issue. When you brought it inside and it was "mint", were you powering it with the OPUS, or with an ATX supply.

If with an ATX supply, and you determine that the vehicles electrical system is stillup to par (perhaps the alternator or battery is dying) then it is MOST LIKELY the OPUS.

Michael

its been working in the car with the opus power supply for 5 months

so your saying that the power supply is bust....

thats gutting......

did I mention when you turn the ignition off.... it also wont seem to turn itslef off either..... dunno if that means anything....
        Living the dream!

AMD Athlon 1700
        512mb ram
        7 inch toch sceen
        wireless
        bluetooth
        GPS

See my car and setup

Comment

Originally posted by chewEboy
          its been working in the car with the opus power supply for 5 months

so your saying that the power supply is bust....

thats gutting......

did I mention when you turn the ignition off.... it also wont seem to turn itslef off either..... dunno if that means anything....
          Wait, now I am confused. How did you get it to start so that you have to ask the question " it also wont seem to turn itslef off either..... "

Also, answer the questions posed, namely, how did you power it inside.

Yes, Power Supplies can go dead, even after 6 months.

Also, did you make sure that the cable from the PS to the MB is connected, and connected the correct way??? If now it won't start, or stop, then perhaps that cable is disconnected.

If it is connected, I am back to a PS problem.

Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
            Wait, now I am confused. How did you get it to start so that you have to ask the question " it also wont seem to turn itslef off either..... "

Also, answer the questions posed, namely, how did you power it inside.

Yes, Power Supplies can go dead, even after 6 months.

Also, did you make sure that the cable from the PS to the MB is connected, and connected the correct way??? If now it won't start, or stop, then perhaps that cable is disconnected.

If it is connected, I am back to a PS problem.

Michael

just like I said.....

1. turn ignition on
            2. light on power supply comes on constant and fans start spinning
            3. no post beeps, nothing on screen
            4. PSU contines to supply power to PC fans ...
            5. turn ignition off..... power supply still has a constant light on it and fans spining
            Living the dream!

AMD Athlon 1700
            512mb ram
            7 inch toch sceen
            wireless
            bluetooth
            GPS

See my car and setup

Comment

really sounds like your ps. since in the house it works. on a diff power supply in the car it doesnt work at all.

You could always take the ps and everything in the house and jump the ground and 12v+ (DC) coming out of the PS in your house. that will test your pc with the dc-dc PS. All you need to do is use some wire and google the pinout from the atx style PS plug.
              MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
              M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
              7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
              Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
              Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

Hit your local CompUSA or similar store for a power supply tester for like $10. Hook up the 20pin rail and the 5v 4 pin rail. On most P4 and AMD boards, if you dont have a 5V rail hooked up you'll get power but it wont post due to lack of power.

Comment

Originally posted by chewEboy
                  just like I said.....

1. turn ignition on
                  2. light on power supply comes on constant and fans start spinning
                  3. no post beeps, nothing on screen
                  4. PSU contines to supply power to PC fans ...
                  5. turn ignition off..... power supply still has a constant light on it and fans spining

Originally posted by TruckinMP3

Good luck.

Did you do this yet?
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I left it overnight...

when down there thismorning.... re-seated some cables...

truned it on and it worked fine...

left it all plugged in with just the monitor conected to it...

will check again tomorrow to see if its still draining my battery...

its really annoying... I like having the system in the car.. but its not very relyable...
                    Living the dream!

AMD Athlon 1700
                    512mb ram
                    7 inch toch sceen
                    wireless
                    bluetooth
                    GPS

See my car and setup

Comment

Working...