Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few wiring questions.

Hello,

I am planning on building a carputer for myself, and gradually buying all the parts i need.

I am trying to follow the guide for wiring an Opus 150w + an amplifier - great image by the way, it explains it well!

Will this do for a distribution block (both power and ground - I'll buy two):
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XTREME-AUDIO-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Also should I get a "fused distro block" or just a standard one if I'm using an inline fuseholder?

The thing I don't understand is awg. I understand this is thickness of cable, but is the smaller the number, the thicker the cable? That block says it has a 4awg in (thick lead from the battery I'm guessing) and then four 8awg out (smaller wires?)

I need to know what the appropriate wire is I need from the battery to the distribution block, and same again from the ground block to the chassis ground.

Thanks a lot for your help!

that thing should do fine. What you'll need to do is run a 4 gauge wire from the battery to that, once it is in the "in slot" you will then run 8 gauge to the opus/amp etc.. Buying a fused one is just extra protection, I don't think it is really needed, but it really can't hurt... I have both a fused distro block and an inline fuse

Comment

Thanks that answers pretty much all my questions I think!

Comment

I've just bought an inline fuse holder and 60A fuses to use on my 4AWG line from the battery - I looked at the guide and it said 15-20.

Have I got the wrongs ones or is this one better? I thought the higher that ampage the better?

Comment

I'd use the correct amp fuse that it says to....perhaps bump to 30A but I'd advise against 60A. The higher the amps the more it takes to blow the fuse. Fuses are our friends.
          -WarDriver-
          Server Administrator
          Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
          My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

Is there a way I can calculate what fuse I should use?

Obviously if I go too low then they'll always blow, too high then I'll blow the equipment.

Comment

Run a 30 amp....you should be ok...
              -WarDriver-
              Server Administrator
              Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
              My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X