Booting on ignition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting on ignition?

Hey hey, I'm aware that if I used a shutdown controler on a dc-dc PSU, then I could use that do boot on ignition and shutdown?

Well my question is, would I be able to wire something to the ignition so that the system boots when the ignition is turned, with using an invertor?

Aswell as the computer booting on ignition, I'd also like to be able to control it manually if I want to start it up/shut it down without turning the car on/off.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Gary

Originally posted by Bravo_Gaz
    Hey hey, I'm aware that if I used a shutdown controler on a dc-dc PSU, then I could use that do boot on ignition and shutdown?

Well my question is, would I be able to wire something to the ignition so that the system boots when the ignition is turned, with using an invertor?

Aswell as the computer booting on ignition, I'd also like to be able to control it manually if I want to start it up/shut it down without turning the car on/off.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Gary
    You can do this with any of the mpegbox.com products. You hook the ACC line up to the ignition wire and when the key is turned, it turns on. There is also a feature where the controller senses the computer turn on and then turns on the computer. Basically it sees the alternator charging the battery and at that point, turns on the computer.

-Jeff
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Can also do this with the DSSC, or probably any shutdown/startup controller.

Get a three position switch, one that will do ON - OFF - ON, wire one side to your ignition wire, and the other to constant 12v. Switch it one way..on/off with the car, switch it the other, manual override.

Comment

The DSSC is probably your best bet. It's by far the most battle-tested piece of CarPC hardware out.

http://www.dashwerks.com/dw_dssc.php

Created around 2000, they work great. You can also wire other things like radar detector, and any other 12v accessory into it.
        www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys Can I just ask how well these work along side with the invetor? Will a seperate switch be needed for this? Or can this be left 'on'(will it stain drain power if the computer is off?) all the time?

Cheers again.

Gary

Comment

What I did is this. I modified my Inverter so I can turn it on by applying 12v to a relay that is wired in-line with the power switch in the inverter.

Basically I opened the inverter, cut one of the wires to the existing power switch, put a relay in there (grounding it to the ground input of the inverter) and sticking a wire out the front so when I apply 12v to that wire, it'll turn on the inverter, provided the existing switch is also on.

The DSSC pulls no power (nothing significant anyway) when it's off, and neither should your inverter. I have the power switch I suggested wired to the input of the DSSC, and the DSSC then controls my inverter through the delay-off circuit. I have my amplifiers hooked up to the delay-on output of the DSSC to avoid any turn-on thumps from my computer.

Now, you will NOT be able to have your computer 'suspend', but hibernate works very well.

Comment

Working...
            X