Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply design

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has considered Linear Technology switchers. They are surface mount and they claim around 90% to 95% efficiency with pretty much minimum outside component.
    I ran across an article ( design idea) from Intel that used their IC. The design was for mobile PC.
    They used all surface mount component ( everything). It seemed very tiny.
    5V, 12V, 3.3V, -5V and -12V (full atx)

Almost no heat sink!!!!!!!!!!
    apparently because of the efficiency very little power is waisted to heat.

I am looking into designing one. Since I am a novice in electronic it would probably take me an eternity.

Any ideas about starting that project or not or any input would be appreciated.

abbas welcome to the club!

Just a advice always do a search for the topic you want to know or need to post about .. cause there are most topic already discussed here.. !!

so just do a search on "linear power" .... you will know the drawbacks of the above...

Mastero

Comment

Actually - see if you can dig up that link. If there are more efficient surface mount components, they might be a good idea to research. Currently we're building PSU's from TO-220 package chips, and getting about 65% efficiency. Perhaps some ingenious surface mount manufacturer has found a better way?

Radio shack linear power convertors can't handle the Amps and voltage range needed to get the power we need, so we're using switch-mode convertors from Maxim-IC. Those present the problem that the overall psu size is somewhat bulky (albeit it's pretty damn small for a PSU... 1.5" x 5" or so)

Jeff Mucha (zootjeff) has designed a PSU that uses surface mount comps, and his is even smaller than the sproggy described above.

Comment

hey CL i agree with you but the thing with SMT components are that everyone cant solder them ... its kindoff SMALL ..... and the pins are mostly thighly packed to solder at home..

And as i remember one off the member here had some new psu idea using those SMT chips from .. National .. but i dont know who it was ..

Dont even know what happend to his work ..

Mastero

Comment

Linear technology switcher

Thanks for all the replies!

Forgive me but I think I did not make clear that I was not talking about a linear converter but a full high performance switching power supply. I believe a linear power supply will not be able to achieve that kind of efficiency ( > 90%).

I think we should take a look at Linear technology web site especially at the following components:

LT1931 or 1931A (inverting DC/DC converter) for the -5 and -12 v low amperage but that's all is needed if I read all the post correctly.

LTC1628 / LTC1628-PG step down switching regulator for the both the 5v and 3.3V. That is a one tiny chip solution.

Also LTC1625 step down switching regulator.

Included in the PDF files from the manufacturer are sample designs.

The nice thing also is the input voltage could be as low as 5V and as high as 36V. That would probably address the voltage drop on the battery.

According to what I read so far we ought to be able to produce a switching PSU that is very small ( 2"x4"x0.5")

What do you guys think?

Www.linear-tech.com

PS: I have no relation of what so ever to linear tech. I just read the intel design and many other articles.

Comment

The question that i want to ask is what sort of design are you planning on using for +12v? Flyback? what sort of amps can we excpect to get out of it on that line?
            Fosgate

System Comp V3 - In progress.
            Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

Comment

the LTC1628 is for both the 3.3V and the 5V
              3.3V at 4A
              5V at 4A

LT1931 one for -12V at 350mA and one for -5V at 350mA

LTC1625 for the 12V at 2A

total around 64 W

Comment

Originally posted by abbas
                the LTC1628 is for both the 3.3V and the 5V
                3.3V at 4A
                5V at 4A

LT1931 one for -12V at 350mA and one for -5V at 350mA

LTC1625 for the 12V at 2A

total around 64 W
                Total waste of time if you ask me.... How small will this thing be?? If it isn't smaller than 2inches by 2inches and 1inch thick max.. then its just pointless as teh Sproggy supplies are better than that, and I don't think that will be able to power most systems...
                2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
                register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Mp3kid - It might be prudent for us to explore these components as a possible solution: Just how long do you think Maxim is going to let us keep getting samples?

Besides - What's the "drawback" of having more options to choose from? So far there's only 3 choices:

Keypower/Arise: $165/$100
                  ZootJeff: $150
                  Sproggy: $130 pre-fab, $50? with samples

Comment

Hell - I think if you designed a dual layer design like Zootjeff's supply, you probably could go smaller than 2x4". Draw up a quick parts list and let's see where we could pull together parts from. One of the major obsticles of the Sproggy DIY kit is that you need exotic inductors from Coilcraft or some other inductor manufacturer. (well not really exotic, just annoying to get)

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLittle
                      Just how long do you think Maxim is going to let us keep getting samples?
                      This is so true, but we can find maxim ic's in most shops..so it wont be a problem, but we are wrecking for the ones really needing the free parts

looks like we'll be start to pay for our parts, i'm sure it will be worth to build a supply instead of buying
                      -
                      My cars
                      -

Comment

Really??? are you saying that you can buy the parts locally??? You guys are just scabs if you can.... we people in SA can't get any of the hard to get parts locally... that is, teh regulators, inductors, and some of the diodes... Please don't take away our only useable option..
                        2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
                        register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Originally posted by THEMP3KID

Total waste of time if you ask me.... How small will this thing be?? If it isn't smaller than 2inches by 2inches and 1inch thick max.. then its just pointless as teh Sproggy supplies are better than that, and I don't think that will be able to power most systems...
                          64W powers my system just fine.

The difference between this supply and the ones "other" members have suggested is that this is a switching supply, not a linear supply. So it sounds like a completely viable alternative to the Sproggy or a commercially produced supply.

And about parts, personally I don't appreciate all the moochers taking free parts from Maxim. It ****es me off that when I buy Maxim semiconductors, I am actually paying for someone else's supply. It's even more infuriating when you can just walk into any local electronics store and purchase all the Maxim parts you need for a few dollars.
                          Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                          Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                          "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by THEMP3KID
                            Really??? are you saying that you can buy the parts locally??? You guys are just scabs if you can.... we people in SA can't get any of the hard to get parts locally... that is, teh regulators, inductors, and some of the diodes... Please don't take away our only useable option..
                            So you're telling me that in all of Austrialia, there isn't a single local electronics shop? Yeah, right. There's probably several in your area, you just don't know about them. Any shop can order from Maxim, since they are one of the largest producers of semiconductors in the world.
                            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

unfortunately for me, it seems that the cost of operating is too high around the bay area for anyone other than Radio Schlock to stay in business. There are no "true" electronics shops that I can find in the bay area.

Comment

Working...
                              X