Another dead M2-ATX...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dead M2-ATX...

How reliable is this thing? Had it for about 2 weeks. Today, started my car, computer loads up fine, was cruising around, but not 10 minutes later, saw smoke coming from compartment where my carputer hides. Pull over, took the carputer out, and saw burnt marks on one of chips on the M2-ATX. The 15A fuse on PS didn't go or 10A fuse next to the battery. Going to have to call mp3car.com and rma it tomorrow.

I took the carputer inside and powered it up with regular PS. CPU fan spins, but I get no video. Pushing power button won't shut it down. If I leave it alone, after about 5 minutes, it shuts down automatically. I am thinking it also took out my motherboard. It could also be the cpu, but without another MB to test it out, won't know.
    CAR:06 350Z | LCD:Xenarc 700TSV | PS:M2-ATX | CPU:2.0GHz Turion 64 | MB:GA-K8N51GMF | RAM:1GB PC3500 DDR | HDD:WD 250GB SATA | USB1:Zoom 140M WiFi | USB2:iOne Scorpius Keyboard | USB3:Logitech Wingman | SERIAL:GPS BR-355

Originally posted by myzhi
    How reliable is this thing? Had it for about 2 weeks. Today, started my car, computer loads up fine, was cruising around, but not 10 minutes later, saw smoke coming from compartment where my carputer hides. Pull over, took the carputer out, and saw burnt marks on one of chips on the M2-ATX. The 15A fuse on PS didn't go or 10A fuse next to the battery. Going to have to call mp3car.com and rma it tomorrow.

I took the carputer inside and powered it up with regular PS. CPU fan spins, but I get no video. Pushing power button won't shut it down. If I leave it alone, after about 5 minutes, it shuts down automatically. I am thinking it also took out my motherboard. It could also be the cpu, but without another MB to test it out, won't know.
    Looks like your system is overkill for a M2-ATX.. A little temperature protection goes a long way..
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

M2-ATX failure

ALthough I'm sorry to hear about your problem, I'm glad you posted! Almost exactly the same thing happened to me about a week ago. The following is excerpted from an email I sent to the mp3car.com guys:

Originally posted by parksgm
      The power supply worked well and powered my computer without incident for approximately 4 hours. After installation, all features of the power supply were operating correctly, including startup and timed shutdown of the motherboard, and the power supply ran without incident.

Unfortunately, and without warning, the power supply suddenly stopped operating, emitted a burned smell, and will now not boot the computer. At the time the supply stopped working, the computer had been booted and running without incident for approximately 10 minutes.

I have attached three photos of the M2-ATX board, with what appears to be the burned, defective chip circled in the center of each picture. There is also a dark, smudged area of the board visible just below and to the right of the chip that also appears to be a result of the chip overheating.

Since the power supply ran without incident for four hours before it stopped working, ran the compute for ten minutes immedately before it stopped working, and nothing was changed before it suddenly stopped working, I feel that some component was likely defective.
      ...and they agreed to replace my board under warranty. Since that time, I have pulled my computer from the car, and have had some of the same problems you have...

1) Computer will not post or boot.
      2) Fan spins, but...
      3) No video. I do not have built-in video on the motherboard, but multiple known good AGP or PCI cards do not work.
      4) The attached hard drive now will not spin up...

I attached a pic of the burned chip on my M2-ATX below...is that similar to what happened to your M2? (By the way, I am not as shoddy a photographer as the pic below would make you think...but it was the best my cell phone could do

I AM happy that the mp3car.com guys are replacing my M2-ATX, but I also now have a dead computer (which seems related to me)...and will be out several hundred dollars replacing components that were perfectly good (and I imagine you will too). What should we do?
      Attached Files

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Frightening... I have an m2 atx (that I didn't get from mp3car.com ) and now I am worried about it dying.

Anybody have any indication as to the cause?
        Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

Originally posted by PURDooM
          Frightening... I have an m2 atx (that I didn't get from mp3car.com ) and now I am worried about it dying.

I'd be interested to know if you find out the cause, too. I just got my setup from mp3car.com/store with m2-atx. So far I've been running it at home while setting everything up, soon will be mounting it in the car.
          f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
          ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

Comment

i just orderd 2 of them,
            they better be good
            View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

M2-ATX failure

I imagine that if someone could identify the chip that failed, we could infer the cause. If anyone has an M2-ATX hand, compare it with my pic posted above, and see if there are any identification markings on the chip itself. I would certainly be willing to do it myself, however, I've already sent my unit back for replacement.

The above assumes that there was a defect with the M2-ATX itself...but theoretically there could be have been a problem with the installation. However, I don't think that an installation problem was the issue in my case or myzhi's case because:

A) ...both units were functioning correctly for multiple hours before failure, and then failed suddenly and without warning. In my case, the power supply had successfully booted and shut down the computer >20 times before failing over the course of three or four days. In myzhi's case, it seems that the supply failed after two weeks of successful operation.

B) ...both units seem to have failed in a similar manner (~10 min of operation, then a puff of smoke, etc.) We'll have to wait until myzhi replies to know the exact nature of his failure, however.

C) ...both units failed to draw enough current to trip their protective fuses. To me, this implies that the power supply continued to draw an acceptable (within design limits) amount of current, and that an internal failure resulted in misdistribution of the current or misregulation of voltage on the supply rails.

Again, I was not trying to scare anyone with an M2-ATX on order, but I also don't want to see the same thing happen to others. Given the nature of my failure, I'm not sure what I could have done to prevent it, short of not installing the supply. :-)

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Looks like the same chip / area failed. Seems like possible defect in chipset or circuitry part of the PS.

It was working fine for around 2 weeks. Didn't see any problems with power, startup, shutdown, and etc. during that time.

As to when it failed, turn on the car, computer booted up normally, went cruising, played some music videos, and not 10 minutes later, saw smoke caming from compartment where I had my carputer.

Don't think it was current problem since I had 10A fuse, next to the battery, which didn't blow.

Getting my replacement M2-ATX and MB this friday. Hope, nothing else is broken.
                CAR:06 350Z | LCD:Xenarc 700TSV | PS:M2-ATX | CPU:2.0GHz Turion 64 | MB:GA-K8N51GMF | RAM:1GB PC3500 DDR | HDD:WD 250GB SATA | USB1:Zoom 140M WiFi | USB2:iOne Scorpius Keyboard | USB3:Logitech Wingman | SERIAL:GPS BR-355

Comment

Do the math for power consumption on each power rail on all your components that are powered by the PS.

Compare those numbers to the PS spec... if your numbers are bigger it was your fault otherwise the PS was not up to spec.

If you overload the PS... something will 'smoke' and that is bad. The failed part might be related to the voltage regulation circut. The MB could have been exposed to higher volts or amps than it could handle related to the failure of the PS.

You will (likely) need to prove what hardware was plugged into the PS and that it did not overload the specs before it is a warrenty claim.

Edit: This is on the list for reasons to plan a low power consumtion system.
                  Lower power means less:
                  1) wear on the PS
                  2) load on the car
                  3) heat issues

and other stuff that does not come to mind right now.

Post your complete system specs with power consumption... We should be able to say if you are inbounds or out.

While looking for more info on your PS issue I found this:
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...122#post836122

I can definitely say the Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF works just fine with Turion. Have one running right next to me.

The only thing is that the Turion sits lower than regular cpus and, thus, may not make contact with heatsink. At first, I didn't realize this which cause the computer to kept on turning off (safety measure to save cpu) after a few sec.
                  So, it seems you may have overheated your set up ...

Making some guesses and using this http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I came up with about 158 watts.
                  Not all of your gear is listed... I looked up the CPU power on AMDs site 35 watts
                  RAM 10 earch for 20 watts
                  HD 25 watts
                  DVD 25 watts
                  3 USB devices at 5 each for 15 watts
                  video did not match (6800) picked for 48 watts this is the largest variable

This does not include: Sound chip (5 watts), fans (2 watts each), MB, serial GPS, keyboard/mouse (3 watts), or the LCD (if that is powered off your 12v rail)

You are over the 150 watt rating of the PS.... that is without doing the math by rail.

Sorry buddy, you broke it.
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

http://carpc.kyferez.com/Tools/PSUWattageCalculator.php

152W full loaded using power calculator above. How often does that happen?

Hardware all powered my M2-ATX:

LCD: Xenarc 700TSV
                    CPU:2.0GHz Turion 64
                    MB:GA-K8N51GMF
                    RAM: 2X512 MB PC3500
                    HDD:Hitachi 160GB SATA
                    DVD:Samsung 16X DVD DL IDE
                    USB1:Zoom 140M WiFi
                    USB2:iOne Scorpius Keyboard
                    USB3:Logitech Wingman
                    SERIAL:GPS BR-355

Never access / use the DVD drive. Could remove that if it's power problem.

Could be heat issue, but heard about people putting it in dashboard, trunk, and etc. That would seem much more hot than where I was putting my computer.

Edit:

CPU / MB didn't overheat. 1) The post you show was cpu not making contact with MB, and of course I corrected it. Removing heatsink from cpu, I clearly see where cpu make contact with the MB from thermal paste markings. 2) MB has preventive measure (auto shutdown) when cpu / MB overheats. Happens in secs when I was putting computer together in my house, and it didn't happen in the car. It was running fine for 2 weeks w/o any problems.

Comment

See updates in post above. Changed number of RAM sticks and estimated wattage of items not in the total.

I believe you overloaded your PS.
                      TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
                        See updates in post above. Changed number of RAM sticks and estimated wattage of items not in the total.

I believe you overloaded your PS.
                        From http://carpc.kyferez.com/Tools/PSUWattageCalculator.php:

MB 25W (standard)
                        CPU 25 W (MT version)
                        LCD ??? (heard 3-5W)
                        Nvidia Onboard video 10W
                        HDD Sata 25W
                        CPU fan 3W
                        Standard keyboard 2W (what serial GPS gets power from)
                        DVD drive 25W
                        2 DDR 20W
                        3 USB 15W

Total: 153-155W. Remember, this is fully loaded. I would have to be at 100% cpu usage, burning DVD, playing high graphic game, and etc. all at the same time. No way, I am ever doing that. The time the PS dead I was only watching a music video.

Comment

You realize the 160 watt figure is split between the rails? You only get something like 97 watts on the 12 V rail.
                          Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

You realize the 160 watt figure is split between the rails? You only get something like 97 watts on the 12 V rail.

I am aware of this, but unfortunately, can't find anywhere / power calculator that says what runs on which rails for each component. When I get my replacement parts, I'll just play it more safe by removing the DVD drive and possibly 1 stick of ram. That'll safe 35W.

It maybe still a heat problem. The computer is in a compartment that has a screen that allows for air circulation. Maybe, that's not enough. Plus, at that time, didn't have the AC on yet.

I'll have to do more testing to figure it out.

Comment

The specs are written for a set of conditions that include power input, output and heat disipation. Running and PS close to it's rating is a bad idea.

I still think you smoked the PS by overloading it.
                              TruckinMP3

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X