What can i do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can i do

I've read a lot of topics on power supplies and what to use but im not very smart when it comes to volts, amps and watts. i can put a computer together, but usually there is a power supply in the case that i buy.

My plan is to take my old computer, build a smaller case and put it in my car with nice fabrication and a sweet touchscreen but i have no clue what to do with battery power and PSU. I understand how to hook it all up but i dont understand this voltage stuff.

Most of you are probably thinking that i should just give up, but seeing these sweet carputers makes me want one.

I have a P4 2.8 Ghz processor with a 160GB hdd with 512 RAM, and possibly even one of those slimline dvd drives.

So if anyone would like to help a noob out please do

I was looking at one like OPUS 150 watt DC-DC power Supply SFX.1215, or is that a little too much wattage?

Nobody thinks you should give up. We do, however, think you should learn about electricity and how a computer utilizes it, though. Also learning the basics of vehicle electrics is a good idea, as well.
    It's not particularly difficult and a few basic concepts will prevent you from doing something that could damage equipment or injure you.

The Opus would be a bad choice for your proposed setup. Read this FAQ to find out why: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

there is absolutely no need for so much processing power in the car.

I'd deffinately encourage you to stick it out and learn about this stuff and not give up. I'm sure that learning to walk wasn't really all that easy either, but look at you now! (Sorry if you can't walk...I'm just making a general assumption... )

Nothing in life that is worth wild comes easy. I have 3 8' tropheys sitting in our living room from the various shows that I have won, 4 5' tropheys and various smaller ones. NONE of these came because they were easy. We worked our asses off to get those things. We spent a lot of time reading online and talking to people who knew what they were talking about.

P = V x A X E

Power (wattage) = Voltage (voltage) x Current (amperage) x Efficiency (%)

(or P = VI)

There's a calculator here for it if you need it: http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp#5

(also check here for more info: http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp)

That is the basic formula you will need to start learning this stuff. It's called Ohm's law

there are a TON of tutorials avaliable out there on the net that will teach you the basics. it's all relatively simple, it just takes a bit of brain power and experience.

It WILL take quite a bit of reading though, and if you aren't interested in that, then you will have a problem...lol
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

yea

yea i didnt think there would need to be that much power in the car unless some friends wanted to play some counterstrike on the way to a far city or something. but i didnt really want to have to buy and put together another comp so i was going to try to use the old stuff i have. but i think im going to buy some stuff off of the mp3car store and build a nice carputer. thanks for the help.

i currently have my old nes, snes and my ps2 hooked up to the headrest seats for the back and its soo much fun so i hope i can get a carputer going

Comment

how much CS can you REALLY play on 7" monitors?

lol

there are a lot of guys that come on here that want to use what they already have, but then they realize that they will run into a lot of issues and that going with the less powerful solutions are actually a lot easier and a lot less of a headache, and might end up being cheaper...hehe
          Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

You could play a lot of CS on a 7" monitor.
            I think the deeper issue is how the small monitor will degrade your skills....
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

bigger screen

i wanted to get a bigger screen that people put into the trunk, but instead put it in the backseat somehow. i think that would be really cool.

Comment

what?
                Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by thebeebster
                  I was looking at one like OPUS 150 watt DC-DC power Supply SFX.1215, or is that a little too much wattage?
                  A quick check to certify this, without getting into the math is to check the wattage of the original psu. If it is <= the opus then you are set.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
                    A quick check to certify this, without getting into the math is to check the wattage of the original psu. If it is <= the opus then you are set.
                    Not completely true, but a good way to start.

Don't forget that one has to be mindful of the power consumption on each voltage "rail" of the system, and the PSU, not just the overall/complete wattage of the entire system.

Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                      Not completely true, but a good way to start.

Don't forget that one has to be mindful of the power consumption on each voltage "rail" of the system, and the PSU, not just the overall/complete wattage of the entire system.

Michael
                      Ah yes, true. I didn't consider that. Fortunately, most PSU's seem to follow a rough de-facto average in terms of the power ratios.

Comment

i think i might just get my brother to help me with this hes pretty smart and hes an electrician so hopefully he can provide some knowledge. thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by thebeebster
                          i think i might just get my brother to help me with this hes pretty smart and hes an electrician so hopefully he can provide some knowledge. thanks for your help
                          That is probably a good idea. Let us know when/if you get stuck

Comment

Working...
                          X