Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M1-ATX - SP-13000 - no full boot - lack of power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1-ATX - SP-13000 - no full boot - lack of power?

Hi, I have a M1-ATX hooked up to my car with a EPIA SP-13000. I have the +12v-ignition, +12v-battery, and ground hooked up through my stereo wiring harness. The computer will start up normally when I don't have the hard drive plugged into the power, but as soon as I plug in the hard drive the computer starts up and then shuts down after a few seconds, as if it's not getting enough power.

I have powered the computer inside using a Morex power supply that came with my case (60w, I believe), and all works fine. I have read about many others in the forums who have theirs going just fine.

I am able to power my Xenarc 700TSV just fine while running the computer, but not the hard drive...it's weird.

I have a Seagate 300GB SATA hard drive. I've been searching for any reasons or solutions but haven't found any. Any ideas why this won't work right?

There's a very good reason.
    That hard drive is drawing more power on the 12v rail than the M1ATX can provide. Either get a 2.5" laptop hard drive, a beefier power supply or some other way to power the hard drive.

Also, learning about the three rails of power that a PC uses would be very helpful.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I was under the impression that the 90W M1-ATX was a "beefier" power supply that the 60W Morex one. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterFox
        I was under the impression that the 90W M1-ATX was a "beefier" power supply that the 60W Morex one. Am I wrong in that assumption?
        Not at all. It is beefier and has more features.
        Check out the FAQ Emporium and look for a thread titled Will <insert power supply name> work with my system? It will explain a lot.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. So if I'm understanding correctly, my M1-ATX provides 2.0A on the 12v, and looking at the Morex 60W, it provides 2.5A on the 12v. My hard drive uses 2.25A on startup, from what I researched.

I am able to run my entire system inside using the Morex 60W power supply, but it is plugged into the wall using an AC adaptor. In the car, the M1-ATX will not run with the hard drive plugged in. Is this because of the 0.5 difference? Wow...I guess I'll have to sell my M1-ATX and get a M2-ATX, or get a 2.5" hard drive.

Any buyers?

Comment

you might consider powering your screen off of the car and not the psu...
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I considered that, so I unplugged the monitor to see what would happen. The computer still wouldn't boot up properly. It stayed on for about a second longer with no screen, but still wouldn't start all the way.

I am thinking I need the M2-ATX, which provides 8 amps on the 12V, which is more than plenty for the system. That, or change to a 2.5" hard drive, or boot from a flash drive and use my external HD for my music.

Comment

bigger PSU - no sense in taxing the PSU when for a few $$ more you can have one that works well above the thresh hold
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                X