Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OPUS PSU sent back saying tested ok???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OPUS PSU sent back saying tested ok???

    bah!!????

    im going MAD!!!!


    whats causing my problems???


    This is the problem......

    1. When I turn the ignition power will be supplied to the opus 150 and it will supply power to the mother board and the CPU fan will spin round.....
    2. But the computer wont post no beeps nothing....
    3. Turn ignition off and opus power supply wont turn off


    The PC works perfectly with a home ATX power supply

    -Ive changed the graphics card in the PC as I thought it may be that
    -ive tested my laptop on the monitor thats in the car and it works fine

    strange thing is.. it will sometimes come on


    sometimes I will start car up and it will do what I said above (come on but not post)
    .....I will drive down the road and suddenly will hear beeps and computer will start booting up.... sometimes it will stay on a while... and others it will suddenly cut out.... then suddenly start booting up again

    as of this on and off stuff... it makes me think a wire earthing out or summit...

    but they have tested the opus and say its fine... ive had nearly all the wiring out....


    only wires I havnt look at are the power wires... ie the ignition wire, 12v, and earth... but I have tested em with volt meter and they are supplying power?

    maybe the earh wire has come lose.... would that casue these simptoms?



    any ideas what I should do next?

    I feel like im at a dead end
    Living the dream!

    AMD Athlon 1700
    512mb ram
    7 inch toch sceen
    wireless
    bluetooth
    GPS

    See my car and setup
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847490/1


    [++++++----] 60% finished

  • #2
    I don't know, but I doubt it required two separate threads.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TheLlama
      I don't know, but I doubt it required two separate threads.

      I knew someone was gonna say that...


      I will delete the other one.... for petes sake
      Living the dream!

      AMD Athlon 1700
      512mb ram
      7 inch toch sceen
      wireless
      bluetooth
      GPS

      See my car and setup
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847490/1


      [++++++----] 60% finished

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by chewEboy
        I knew someone was gonna say that...


        I will delete the other one.... for petes sake
        Pete's sake. But seriously, I bet it is the motherboard, or ram. Try plugging in a port-80 card and see what sort of errors you get. You haven't given us any idea what the screen says while it is unable to boot, so it is hard to tell. It can also be the powerline's inability to supply high enough voltage or current. What gauge wiring did you use and are you certain all your connections are clean and strong?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TheLlama
          Pete's sake. But seriously, I bet it is the motherboard, or ram. Try plugging in a port-80 card and see what sort of errors you get. You haven't given us any idea what the screen says while it is unable to boot, so it is hard to tell. It can also be the powerline's inability to supply high enough voltage or current. What gauge wiring did you use and are you certain all your connections are clean and strong?
          he did tell you what the screen said. it will not post, this usualy means the screen never got initilized(sp?).

          when u sent the PSU for repairs, did you mention the key word "intermitant"(sp?)

          they usualy replace the thing when they see that word..has always worked for other stuff i've RMAd (use to work at a computer store handling all the broke/cheap ****)
          95 Mazda Protege LX
          Worklog
          Overall [Project Dead] 0%

          2003 Nissan Altima
          [XXXXXXXX--] 80% Planning
          [XX--------] 20% FABRICATION/INSTALLATION

          Worklog

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gameboy
            he did tell you what the screen said. it will not post, this usualy means the screen never got initilized(sp?).
            No, he said it wouldn't beep or anything. He never stated if he had a head plugged in.

            Comment


            • #7
              hmmm. Is your athlon 1700+ or is it 1700Mhz ? Anyway your processor is power-hungry and needs around 60 - 70W of power from 12V rail ( 5-6A only for proc.) and Opus provide 5A ( 6,5 pk) .

              Try this:
              boot from ATX PSU and UNDERCLOCK proc as low as you can . Disconect every peripheral(you can also plug-in less RAM if you have one) and with desktop monitor an only with keyboard try to boot.
              Post result please.
              "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
              AE

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gameboy
                he did tell you what the screen said. it will not post, this usualy means the screen never got initilized(sp?).

                when u sent the PSU for repairs, did you mention the key word "intermitant"(sp?)

                they usualy replace the thing when they see that word..has always worked for other stuff i've RMAd (use to work at a computer store handling all the broke/cheap ****)

                no I didnt..... but I wish I did...

                think what I need to do is get a spare battery and test it outside the car.....

                or I could used my car battery and run some cables directly from battery under the bonnet
                Living the dream!

                AMD Athlon 1700
                512mb ram
                7 inch toch sceen
                wireless
                bluetooth
                GPS

                See my car and setup
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/847490/1


                [++++++----] 60% finished

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chewEboy
                  no I didnt..... but I wish I did...

                  think what I need to do is get a spare battery and test it outside the car.....

                  or I could used my car battery and run some cables directly from battery under the bonnet
                  You could try testing it with a beefy 12v supply.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X