Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Charging...

Hey folks,
    Ive finnally got my hands on a plit charge relay, because at the moment im running two batteries of differnt make and model and they are nothing but trouble.

So, in theory i know how to install the relay as ive been working off this pic:

but i do have a problem:
    At the moment i have 1 battery in the front and 1 in the boot and ive got 0 gauge running between the two positives of the two (the purple cable in Pic)

How am i going to put the relay in that cable? as the connectors on the relay arnt that big. is it simply a case of stripping back the cable and only running say 30%of the strands through the connections or am i going to have to change the whole cable?

I know this question may seem obvious to some but im just not sure.

Thanks
    Ken
    ------
    Prepping for Trax in september
    Re-Building the whole CarPC to upgrade all the software
    Whole new boot build and moulding my screen into the dash...Again

Originally posted by KennyKen
    Hey folks,
    Ive finnally got my hands on a plit charge relay, because at the moment im running two batteries of differnt make and model and they are nothing but trouble.

So, in theory i know how to install the relay as ive been working off this pic:

but i do have a problem:
    At the moment i have 1 battery in the front and 1 in the boot and ive got 0 gauge running between the two positives of the two (the purple cable in Pic)

How am i going to put the relay in that cable? as the connectors on the relay arnt that big. is it simply a case of stripping back the cable and only running say 30%of the strands through the connections or am i going to have to change the whole cable?

I know this question may seem obvious to some but im just not sure.

Thanks
    Ken
    You might be able to find the proper sized Female quick disconnect, I believe the proper size is .025, but it might be .25.

Michael

One last thing, I am really glad that the guy noted "Not to Scale" on his drawing. With out, I might have been way confused why the actual battery is SOOO MUCH BIGGER then his drawing
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

i wouldn't bother

The self-switching combination relay is straightforward to fit and supplies power to the caravan's +12v battery charging circuit and refrigerator supplies only when the vehicles engine is running and the alternator is providing enough output. It automatically prioritises charging of the vehicle battery over all other functions, and requires no connection into the vehicle's alternator or ECU wiring

£11.25 inc VAT

i run one in the boot of my nova one feed filling my leisure battery the other feeds my inverter for 240v kit i have in my car
      2001 Passat 130TDi Sport - Via Epia 15000, 1gb, 100gb, 220w psu, 7" lilliput motorized touch (chopped and in dash as a fixed), bluetooth, bu-303 gps, 7 port usb hub, tiny keyboard, netgear 54mb wifi, optima yellow top, ryder rt1170x, freecom dvb

Comment

hey ste, wheres that from mate? and have you got a wiring diagram?

Comment

I'm guessing as its a uk price and a caravan/camper item I'd say towsure.

<edit>

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=1828

looks like it watches for the main battery voltage to hit 13/14v etc then brings in the connection to your accessorys, when you switch off, you main battery drops and it disconnects.

simple, basic, good.

must build one I'm too tight to spend 11 quid!
          Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Originally posted by lez

must build one I'm too tight to spend 11 quid!
            they do a £4 one... infact got one here will fire up the flat bed
            2001 Passat 130TDi Sport - Via Epia 15000, 1gb, 100gb, 220w psu, 7" lilliput motorized touch (chopped and in dash as a fixed), bluetooth, bu-303 gps, 7 port usb hub, tiny keyboard, netgear 54mb wifi, optima yellow top, ryder rt1170x, freecom dvb

Comment

Comment

is that voltage driven too?

Would be easy to swap out the relays for bigger ones if needed.

must pick one up at that price, now if only I can find a reason to drive to sheffield.........

<edit> doesnt look voltage driven, looks like it just takes a feed from the switched 12v and then powers up the relays after a delay???

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                  is that voltage driven too?

Would be easy to swap out the relays for bigger ones if needed.

must pick one up at that price, now if only I can find a reason to drive to sheffield.........
                  lol this one i have is spare (i know a towbar fitter ) you want it posting?

Comment

nah I have a bag of 5 pin car relays, most are 25/30 amp rated, and I could knock up the circuit if I got off my lazy arse.

Comment

Originally posted by lez
                      <edit> doesnt look voltage driven, looks like it just takes a feed from the switched 12v and then powers up the relays after a delay???
                      no it's voltage

Application.
                      Typically it is used in an auxiliary towbar electrical circuit to switch the split-charging and fridge circuits on and off. It does not need any dedicated signal feed to the coils of its relays. When the voltage in the line from the battery reaches the appropriate level as the alternator begins to charge the battery, the trigger unit switches the relays on. When the alternator ceases to charge and the voltage drops, it switches the relays off.

Comment

emm, they need to make their site clearer it mentions none of that.

Yeah I'l be a taker do you want me to paypal you a couple of quid for it, I once got something for nothing before, now I'm married......

Comment

Working...
                        X