Acceptable Voltage Output Ranges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable Voltage Output Ranges

Im using a Keypower 250W DC-DC PSU, its about 4 years old.

Recently, I installed a monitoring program to check my CPU Temperatures. It also has meters for voltage, 12V, 5V, 3.3V

On average, my 12V rail is reading about 11.4V, the 5V is about 4.8V and the 3.3 is about 3.0

The computer runs fine, no problems really. Could any problems arise from this? Does this mean my PSU is dying?
    G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

I'd say that the PSU has a problem, to be certain. It could also be the software reporting inaccurately. What software are you using to monitor voltage?
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Well you PC is obviously still working on the PSU, so I see no problem. It might be inacurate measuring from the montoring software or the voltages you see are still within ATX specs!
      Lilliput 7" TS TFT, ASRock K7VM2, Duron 1,3 GHz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 30 GB Seagate HDD @ 5.400 rpm, WLAN w/ 500mW booster, Toshiba Slimline DVD-ROM Drive, D-Link USB Radio

Download the German Voicepack 1.0 for FreeDrive now!

Comment

That's true, but if the output voltages are dropping, it could be an indication that the PSU is going bad.

I agree that the softweare can report inaccurately. I know Motherboard Monitor 5 can address many types of motherboards with different chipsets, and if you select the wrong one, you can get substantially different readings.

The surefire way to verify is to break out the ol' multimeter, trick the PSU to providing output power and seeing what the output voltages truly are at the 20-pin ATX connector....
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

The voltage reading is within ATX spec so the PSU is okay.
          Whether the PSU is on it way going south or not, no one know because no one know what was the output reading on the PSU 4 years ago.

Hell, my home build sproggy output reading and DSATX output reading is about the same as yours, does that mean my PSUs are on it way to the south? I don't think so.

Just cross your fingers and smile .... dam my 4 yrs old PSU still working
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

ATX specs are +/-5% on all lines except -12v. the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v minimum limits are 11.4v, 4.75v, and 3.14v, respectively... so your 12v line is barely at the minimum, 5v is just barely over it, and the 3.3v line is quite a bit below it.

If it works, then I guess keep your fingers crossed... just because it's not ideal by ATX specs doesn't necessarily mean your computer won't work properly with it (although I would expect it to cause issues on SOME systems). I agree that you should check the voltages with a multimeter to get more accurate readings.
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

Thanks guys.

I am using motherboard monitor 5 and have the proper mobo selected. I would like to test the lines with a multimeter. Whats the trigger pin on the ATX connector to turn the power supply on? How do I do that exactly, ground it out, jump it to another pin, or put + on it?

Im not ready yet to give up on the PSU yet. Almost 3 years ago I made This thread and its still alive!
              G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

It seems to be getting worse now. my 12V dips into the 10.9x range sometimes, 3.3 has been as low as 2.9...definately not within spec.

My PC has been freezing up alot, sometimes it works flawlessly for days at a time and other times I cant even get to a functional desktop from a bootup without restarting it 3 or 4 times, then it might last a few minutes and freeze. Its frustrating as hell. Ive taken it inside my house and used a AC/DC PSU and it works better, but still locks sometimes. Cant figure out why. I thought the PSU might be the culprit, but the fact it freezes inside makes me think otherwise.

Can anybody tell me how to trip the PSU to power up without a motherboard attached so I can test the pins directly?

Comment

Originally posted by blazinlow
                  It seems to be getting worse now. my 12V dips into the 10.9x range sometimes, 3.3 has been as low as 2.9...definately not within spec.

My PC has been freezing up alot, sometimes it works flawlessly for days at a time and other times I cant even get to a functional desktop from a bootup without restarting it 3 or 4 times, then it might last a few minutes and freeze. Its frustrating as hell. Ive taken it inside my house and used a AC/DC PSU and it works better, but still locks sometimes. Cant figure out why. I thought the PSU might be the culprit, but the fact it freezes inside makes me think otherwise.

Can anybody tell me how to trip the PSU to power up without a motherboard attached so I can test the pins directly?
                  http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm

Short pin 14 (PS_ON) to ground.

Comment

Originally posted by blazinlow
                    Ive taken it inside my house and used a AC/DC PSU and it works better, but still locks sometimes. Cant figure out why. I thought the PSU might be the culprit, but the fact it freezes inside makes me think otherwise.
                    Well, it could be that at such low voltage for an extended period of time could have damaged your motherboard. But I would guess hard drive corruption.

You say it freezes when booting. It is loading important system files. If it freezes, and you hard-off it, then possibility of corrup data. Do that a couple of times an hour for a week or two, and you're going to probably lose some sectors. If it thinks that a file is there for certain and can't find it, could be no good. I've had it happen before, and in that case, it was an underpowered PSU causing all the poop to happen. Had to reformat. Worked well after.
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Right now I have the PC inside hooked up to an AC/DC psu. In bios, there is a PC Health Status (m9000)

The readings Im getting in bios are:
                      +12V 12.018
                      +3.3 3.277
                      +5 4.931

When i load windows, and MBM5 starts, I get these readings:
                      +12V 11.83
                      +3.3 3.17
                      +5vSB 4.97
                      +5 4.80

Why the difference? Is the PC comsuming more power in Windows than in BIOS mode?

Also, whats the difference between +5vSB and +5?

Comment

F This, Im tired of the lack of stability and the constant rebooting.

I caved and just ordered a 150W Opus and MII12000 Board from mp3car's store. I found the items a bit cheaper elsewhere but this board has given me so much info Im glad to support them.

I got my money's worth with the old setup...over 3 years of reliable service. I paid $75 for the Keypower PSU and $150 for the old mobo.

I just bought a PCI-PCMCIA card, which is now going back since the MII12000 has a PC slot onboard. That brings the price down $65.00

Comment

thanks mp3car store. Got my stuff today, setting it up now....

Comment

Working...
                          X