No announcement yet.

Alternatives to a lead acid battery???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to a lead acid battery???

A quick question guys. Does anyone have any ideas for an alternative, for a 2nd battery, to the traditional 12V lead acid battery. Something a little more practical, easier to store and asthetically pleasing, yet still does the job as the lead acid. Any ideas would be greatly appreciatred. Cheers!

-Alex

how many amps would it have to supply??? If not that high, you could use a bank of NiMH batteries, either AA or C size...
    2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
    register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Re: Alternatives to a lead acid battery???

checkout optima
      -
      My cars
      -

Comment

Definitly Optima. I've run (and abused) one in both my running RX-7s for a year and it has worked great. I have a red top.
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Re: Re: Alternatives to a lead acid battery???

Originally posted by jol
          checkout optima
          BAD IDEA
          NiMH batteries are not meant for constant charging and can dammage your car electrical system
          If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

ahh, perhaps you should read more before you post.. what are you talking about??
            2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
            register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Alternatives to a lead acid battery???

Originally posted by jboy

BAD IDEA
              NiMH batteries are not meant for constant charging and can dammage your car electrical system
              um, what...???
              whats wrong with an optima battery... read up on the red top, not the blue or yellow (deep cycle). they are starting batteries, designed for use in alternator powered systems (read: cars) sounds like they would work just fine... also, if they did do damage to electrical systems, i think someone would have raised hell about it, and i dont think optima would be selling them anymore.

if you would like to explain... im all ears.

~mike
              Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
              PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
              2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternatives to a lead acid battery???

Originally posted by mp3z24

um, what...???
                whats wrong with an optima battery... read up on the red top, not the blue or yellow (deep cycle). they are starting batteries, designed for use in alternator powered systems (read: cars) sounds like they would work just fine... also, if they did do damage to electrical systems, i think someone would have raised hell about it, and i dont think optima would be selling them anymore.

if you would like to explain... im all ears.

~mike
                As far as I know, nothing is/are wrong with optima batteries, its just that jboy mistakenly quoted jol instead of mp3kid, who essentially suggested making a battery cell out of a large number of small rechargable (ie as he said, AA, D, etc).
                -Nick

Comment

aha!!!

i got it now. good catch!

~mike
                  Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                  PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                  2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

I took the wrong quote, Mike, thanks for the catch n correct
                    Jboy
                    If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

Working...
                    X