DSATX and trunk heat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSATX and trunk heat?

Summer arrived just as I started the install, and I am having 2 problems that might or might not be related. My guess is NJ summer heat though, and was looking for advice. It ran fine for a week, then it started getting really hot and all hell broke loose.

My setup:

Asus mATX P4S8X-MX socket 478
    Intel Celeron 2.8GHz 400MHz 128KB
    512 Ram
    Pioneer 5.25" CD/DVD
    2.5" WD hard drive with converter for IDE
    USB Keyboard and mouse
    7" Promate LCD TS Kit
    DSATX 220w PS
    Matox PCI Video card (older, nothing fancy)

All screwed down to a piece of 3/4" plywood laying on the floor in my trunk for now.

1. Power shuts down after running for a while in the hot trunk. From what I read, the DSATX specs say it is rated for 50 degrees Celsius, (122 F). I used 10 gauge wire, everything is tight, etc.

After running for a while on a 94 degree+ day, the computer shuts off, no warning. MBM temps were climbing to 116+ last I looked, then WHAM, everything goes off. Wait 5 min, and it restarts.

I tinkered around with the thermal protection on the motherboard with the ASUS BIOS utility and bumped it up a few degrees, and it was still doing the same thing. The other thing that leads me to believe that is the protection in the PSU is the LCD is wired into it. If it was the thermal protection on the CPU, wouldn't the LCD stay on even if the computer shut down? Does that make sense?

2. With all this starting up and shutting down, I think my HD is now toast. On one of the boot ups, it said a file was missing, ntoskrnl.exe. Then Ctl+Alt+Del to restart, then it did a check disk, then no OS found, then no boot media found. So I formatted and reinstalled on the bench, and it was running fine for days. As soon as I hooked It back up to the car, it booted once and did the same thing. Now I cannot even get it to be recognized in my desktop or car.

Finally went out and got a new 2.5” HD, reinstalled windows, and the same thing is happening. On the bench, its fine. In the car, the HD becomes unusable or not found, or hangs up during boot up.

I should mention that the only fan in the setup right now is on the CPU. Will a fan blowing hot trunk air on the PS actually cool it down? I was under the impression that the air would be no cooler than the surrounding air, but it would be moving. That might help with the shutting off problem, but what about the HD crapping out, especially when it wasn’t even that hot out this weekend when I tried again???

My next step is going to be to disconnect the LCD from the setup and see if that helps. I also have a slim slot load USB CD/DVD that I can use, but I thought for sure the DSATX would be able to handle the setup, and even more! I haven’t even added GPS or WiFi yet. Also, can the DSATX thermal protection be adjusted over 50 degrees C with the brain stem?

I'd love to mess around with underclocking, etc. I just need it stable first. I might also consider moving the whole thing into the passenger cabin, but that kinda sucks. BTW, windows updates take for f'in ever!

Help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

actually, if you're having overheating issues, the CPU could have fried more than the HDD.

I recommend getting Motherboard Monitor 5 and using that to display temps. I'm running it on mine currently. It will log temps, give you graphical representations and such. If you have a character LCD, you can even have it display temps there, as well with the right software.

Personally, I think that taking the setup out of the trunk and putting it somewhere inside the car where the A/C will cool the setup along with the ambient temperature of the car.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yes, you are correct about the DSATX.

If you have a brainstem, you can monitor the Temperature of the Power Supply in the trunk and see how it rises. More fans can help you here as well as other things that will reduce heat generation. If the DSATX gets above 55 degrees C, it will trip and pull the plug to avoide a thermal melt down (it turns off all it's rails.) Then it must go below 50 degrees to turn back on again. (There is a 5 degree window). You can use the brainstem to change the thermal protection in the DSATX, but doing so will void your warranty. You can set the low temp cutout and the high temp cutout. You can't disable it, but putting it at a higher temp will basically disable it. If you hard code the high cutoff too high it will have the potential to eventually melt down like all these M2-ATXs with no thermal protection.

More fans blowing the hot air around in the trunk will actually help you a lot. It lowers the thermal resistance of the components thus keeping them cooler I'd put a fan on the PSU and on the HD if it is going to be in a hot trunk. I'd also point them so it creates a vortex of air, basically point them blowing in the same direction over your plywood.

-Jeff
      MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Jeff,
        Does the DSATX mimic a power switch button press once it overheats or does it just shut down completely without notice?
        91 Toyota Supra fabrication http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73932

Comment

Originally posted by dsballer2000
          Jeff,
          Does the DSATX mimic a power switch button press once it overheats or does it just shut down completely without notice?

It just pulls the plug completly. When a component is going into thermal runaway, it does not give windows time to shut down. I thought long and hard on this one..

Do you have good airflow over the DSATX?
          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

The only reason I ask is that mine is going into hibernate every 20 seconds then starts up again. I'm guessing that it might have to do with Voltage dropping but I'm not sure because I JUST changed my alternator.
            91 Toyota Supra fabrication http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73932

Comment

My DS-ATX sits in my exposed hatch in Texas in the summer. It's a black car in direct sunlight and the thing is in direct sunlight while I'm at work. I don't think it gets much worse.

It's a beast and it works flawlessly with a couple of small fans on it. I have it cooled by a HD cooler that is intended to bolt on under a drive and has two 40mm fans blowing down on it. I'm very impressed with it and I'm surprised anything can work in these conditions.
              Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
              DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by dsballer2000
                The only reason I ask is that mine is going into hibernate every 20 seconds then starts up again. I'm guessing that it might have to do with Voltage dropping but I'm not sure because I JUST changed my alternator.

This is where the serial port thing is useful. You can monitor the voltage at the DSATX and see if it is going too low, if it is too low for too long, it will send the shutdown pulse...

Jeff
                www.mpegbox.com

Comment

My DSATX was overheating before as well. I had it laying on a piece of MDF. It was overheating when it was only 85 outside. I then put it in a PSU case with a 120mm fan and it hasn't overheated since, even when it is 100+ outside.

Comment

Originally posted by PhatMo
                    My DSATX was overheating before as well. I had it laying on a piece of MDF. It was overheating when it was only 85 outside. I then put it in a PSU case with a 120mm fan and it hasn't overheated since, even when it is 100+ outside.
                    The DSATX forces the user into a self regulating thermal environment. If you have adequate air flow, you won't have a problem. If you don't, the DSATX will tell you buy pulling the plug. The other power supplies tell you by burning up. Most people prefer to know that they have a heat problem by the first method. But then you get what you pay for.

-Jeff
                    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

OPUS vs DSATX

Hi All,

This is a pretty kool site. I threw together a carputer for my brother this past weekend, and we're currently testing it inside as a normal desktop rig. Here are the specs:

Asus N4L-VM DH micro ATX mobo
                      Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz
                      512 MB DDR667 RAM
                      WD 250GB SATA 3Gb/s 16mb cache HD

The mobo comes with sound, video, etc. Even has optical, though impractical in a car. Anyway, I have this Kill-A-Watt power meter which goes between the power plug and the wall and tells you how much power the device is using. This whole setup uses around 60W.

We are debating on which power supply to use, and my knowledge of car power supplies is basically useless. I have heard the OPUS 120W is pretty good, but the DS-ATX is the best...at a cost hike. Now I believe that price generally reflects quality, and when you're getting something to get good quality. Can you please tell me the differences between the OPUS 120W and the DS-ATX, and which would be more suitable for our needs?

Thanks,
                      Deepak
                      Asus N4L-VM DH micro-atx mobo
                      Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz
                      Corsair 512 DDR2 667 RAM
                      WD 250 GB 3.0Gb/s 16mb cache HD
                      Integrated Video, 8.1ch Audio

Comment

I have so many different external stuff (bluetooth adapter, usb dvdrw, keyboard/mouse, usb wifi) that i wanted to make sure i had sufficient power just incase. Also PCI devices and the fact that i'm powering my monitor up front with my dsatx.
                        Can you tell me what your meter says when you're watching a dvd or burning a cd?

Comment

The only things that really get used when you burn a CD are the mechanics of the drive itself and the hard drive...maybe the CPU, but these things won't make any significant increases to power consumption. The same is with playing a DVD...what you do need to worry about is the power consumption of the chip, ram, # hard drives, additional devices, etc.
                          Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz
                          Corsair 512 DDR2 667 RAM

Comment

I know but the CPU will have an idle state and a full load state and the wattage should change at that point.

Comment

The wattage does change when you run the chip at full speed...you also get quite a bit more heat output...but this does not add more than 5 or 10 W to your overall consumption. This is usually burst too. However, a deciding factor (if you haven't already bought the items for your setup) is using a pentium m or core solo/duo vs. a p4 or celeron d. A kool page that has the consumption of processors is http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm#intel
                              I don't know who did it but it is very helpful. We chose the core duo mainly for its speed and power consumption (31W).
                              Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz
                              Corsair 512 DDR2 667 RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X