Clear All

• Circuit breaker vs fusebox

Which works better:
    100amp circuit breaker next to the battery
    or
    100amp fuse next to the battery
    or
    both..?

It will power 2000watt 5.1 surround amp(90 amps) and PC psu (15 amps).
    http://incarCPU.com

Originally posted by debugger
    Which works better:
    100amp circuit breaker next to the battery
    or
    100amp fuse next to the battery
    or
    both..?

It will power 2000watt 5.1 surround amp(90 amps) and PC psu (15 amps).
    They will work the same (assuming you are refering to automotive stytle circuit breakers of course) The only difference is wether, if you blow it, you will need to have a repalcement fuse with you or not. With a circuit breaker, once you remove the short circuit, and reset it, you are done.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

If you get a breaker, make sure you get a hi quality one, and not a cheapo. A friend of mine had a 120 amp breaker in his Monte Carlo, and he ended up having a short in the back one day, instead of the breaker kicking, it welded itself internally, and started smoking the wire. Luckily he was working with it in the garage and somehow managed to cut the wire up by the battery before it completely broke down, in which I'm sure would of caught fire, or the battery would of exploded. Either way, I vow by fuses for my own car, but have installed them for other people who wanted them, even though I give them this warning. But if you go with a good brand name, you should be fine.
      1995 Chevy Camaro
      2003 Dodge Ram 1500
      VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Motherboard
      Iguidance GPS
      Road Runner Frontend w/ DFX5.0.3
      Xenarc 700IDT with DVD CDR/RW

Comment

breakers are NOT the way to go, breakers are usually what you call "slow blow" , in other words you need a current exceeding it's rated capacity for a time, before it will kick off, then it will automatically reset,if the situation has not changed(the short, or excess current draw), then more damage will result... some circuit breakers will not blow "instantly" until they're rated capacity is more than doubled...

stick with fuses....

Comment

Originally posted by jparks27
          breakers are NOT the way to go, breakers are usually what you call "slow blow" , in other words you need a current exceeding it's rated capacity for a time, before it will kick off, then it will automatically reset,if the situation has not changed(the short, or excess current draw), then more damage will result... some circuit breakers will not blow "instantly" until they're rated capacity is more than doubled...

stick with fuses....

Not necessarily true. You do know that there are fast and slow acting fuses as well. As well as fast and slow acting breakers. Just get the appropriate one for your car, the fast acting version.

Michael

BTW, love the Spectras and the MDT. Maybe you can post some specs somewhere.
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Working...
          X