how can i get 5v to my hard drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i get 5v to my hard drive?

hello ive just got a kenwood head unit thats allows the use of ipods,memory sticks etc.
    the problem is ive bought myself a 40 gig 2.5" hard drive and the kenwood usb does not generate enough power to boot it.now when i rig up a mutil 240 v ac adapter it powers up fine with 5v and plays through the kenwood head.is there anything i could buy that would convert my 12v in my car to 5v via the cigarette socket?

thanks

something like this?

Comment

is there anything a bit more slim line in the mold of a nokia/psp etc. charger?

cheers

Comment

I'm sure there is, radio shack might be a place to look... I've given you direction... is your friend

Comment

yeah, you've got the right idea, a lot of lighter accessory things ouput 5v, u just gotta find one, i've heard some phone chargers can do it, but u'll have to look, and yeh, google is a good place to start, or go to a radio shack or sumthing :T

Comment

Originally posted by goodsoul
            is there anything a bit more slim line in the mold of a nokia/psp etc. charger?

cheers
            There are cigarette lighter plugs that output 5v to a USB port. Stick a USB cable into it and replace the other end of the USB cable with a molex.

Comment

im pretty sure that he wants to use a 2.5" drive, that as far as i know doesnt use a normal molex connector

but piabu is right, u can get lighter plugs that output a 5v usb (heck i have one), but iunno how easily those are to find, compared to one of a hundred compatible cell chargers that could be hacked up

Comment

tried my little lads 5v psp ac adaptor and it work fine so i went down the shops and bought a psp in car lead.works a treat and good value at 6.99

thanks for the help fellas

Comment

good stuff later

Comment

Working...
                  X