usdc problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usdc problem

Hi all. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this problem using the usdc sold by Mp3car.com. First off my system is a VIAM1000 with a DC-DC power supply. I've hooked up the usdc correctly and it turns on and off my pc as I want it. My problem is however, that every once in awhile the pc will just randomly restart/shutdown. I've noticed that most of the time, when this is happening, is when I have the A/C on and almost everytime when I put the car in reverse. The ACC line on the uscd is tied into the same relayed line that runs my amp for my sub and my 7"monitor. Anyone have any suggestions or fixes or have even heard of this problem? Thanks.

It sounds to me as if your input voltage is dropping below the threshhold that the DC-DC power supply can handle when you turn on the AC.

What DC-DC PSU are you using?

Either way, I think it's time to break out the DMM and take some readings.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I'm not sure of the DC-DC ps because it came with my mapower case. I'm guessing its a 90w but again I'm not too sure.

Yeah I think I'm going to have to break out the mm to see whats going on. If it is the case that the voltage is dropping to low, is there a way to disable this feature with the jumpers on the usdc?

Comment

Probably not.
        all electrical devices have an acceptable input range. If the input voltage is higher or lower than that range, it will fail. Better devices will have some electrical protection and simply shut down. Poorly designed devices will suffer damage, especially if the input voltage is higher than the specified range.

I'd suggest opening up the case and determining what the PSU is, as well. That's going to be a key factor in troubleshooting your problem.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

If you under power the input voltage or try to power more stuff than the supply is made for, well that is not the fault of the PS. It seems that is what is happening.

Post full specs on the PC.
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Hmmm...I never thought about the possibility of me overloading the ps. Here are the specs of my PC and what the PC is powering:

MAPower Mini-ITX system with VIA M1000
            1DDR266 512MB RAM
            60GB Notebook HD
            2 tiny cooling fans
            DC-DC PS (I will have to open up the case to get exact rating but I have an AC/DC power brick that came with it that says output @ 12V 4A, it that means anything, probably not)
            1 BU353 USB GPS unit
            1 XM Direct (power via +12 and ground from PS)
            1 4 port USB 2.0 hub
            1 touchscreen from Tview plugged into hub
            1 ATI RF Remote receiver plugged into hub

Lets assume my PS is rated at 90W, I should be OK with this setup shouldn't I?

Comment

Alright so I think I figured out the problem...

I finally got around to troubleshooting my random restarts of the PC and I noticed that when the PC restarted, the usdc switching relay was making a click sound and the red light blinking twice. From this, I figured it had to do with with the usdc and not my power supply being overloaded with peripherals. So I tried lowering the "P2" threshold on the usdc but it was already at its min position. Then I tried the jumper on "C" trick which disables the temperature control, apparently. IT WORKS!!! I've tested it on multiple trips with A/C On/Off. No more restarts....

Now my only question is, how dangerous is it to disable the temp control on the usdc?

Comment

Originally posted by juve021
                Alright so I think I figured out the problem...

I finally got around to troubleshooting my random restarts of the PC and I noticed that when the PC restarted, the usdc switching relay was making a click sound and the red light blinking twice. From this, I figured it had to do with with the usdc and not my power supply being overloaded with peripherals. So I tried lowering the "P2" threshold on the usdc but it was already at its min position. Then I tried the jumper on "C" trick which disables the temperature control, apparently. IT WORKS!!! I've tested it on multiple trips with A/C On/Off. No more restarts....

Now my only question is, how dangerous is it to disable the temp control on the usdc?
                It depends on how hot your parts are going to get. If you can still touch them in the worst conditions, you're fine.
                MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
                www.mpegbox.com

Comment

hmmmm OK

I have the usdc in an enclosure with the top of the enclosure taken off. Would it help if I could attach a fan to the top of this enclosure to blow air in onto the usdc?

Comment

my uSDC does it too. not so often, maybe once in several days, but it's annoying if it shuts down the computer when you are driving on freeway, as there's no way you can turn it back on... maybe I should install a switch for ACC

I haven't looked at the LED when it shuts down though... it's on my wife's car and she doesn't care much.

Comment

I am having the same problem. I have checked the various forums and I can not find anything saying Jumper C disabled the temp function. Can anyone confirm this - Is the developer, i believe his name is Jeff, still around?

Comment

Originally posted by aplusmiami View Post
                        I am having the same problem. I have checked the various forums and I can not find anything saying Jumper C disabled the temp function. Can anyone confirm this - Is the developer, i believe his name is Jeff, still around?

Yes that is correct.

http://www.mpegbox.com/microsdc/index.html

I updated the jumper area.
                        MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
                        www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Working...
                        X