Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to power M2-atx in the house?

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of putting a carpc into my car and would like to test everything in my home before taking it to the car... I have a M2-atx power supply running a M10k board with a 40gig drive at the moment, I would like to make sure everything is working before running all the wires through my car... What are some options for me to supply the M2-Atx with 12v power? as well as ignition and ground in the home? Has anyone tried to do this before? I searched but came up with nothing, might not be searching for the right things. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by MrGee
    Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of putting a carpc into my car and would like to test everything in my home before taking it to the car... I have a M2-atx power supply running a M10k board with a 40gig drive at the moment, I would like to make sure everything is working before running all the wires through my car... What are some options for me to supply the M2-Atx with 12v power? as well as ignition and ground in the home? Has anyone tried to do this before? I searched but came up with nothing, might not be searching for the right things. Thanks in advance.
    Heh, you must not have searched very well... You need a 12V power supply. And old PC power supply works nicely. 12V in and IGN are the same thing, as far as testing goes.
    -ZtH01
    "It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night"

Comment

Any atx power supply for that matter. Though you wanna make sure that it's a high enough wattage.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Car battery charger.
        ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
        Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
        All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
        Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by ZtH01
          Heh, you must not have searched very well... You need a 12V power supply. And old PC power supply works nicely. 12V in and IGN are the same thing, as far as testing goes.

By saying that 12v in and IGN are the same thing, does this mean I could connect a 12V line from my 120V ATX power supply and connect that to the 12V and IGN and just ground the supply and it should work? By saying connect that to the 12V and IGN I mean do I bridge the two connections in order to turn the M2-atx on so that it senses power from IGN and 12V? or would have have to use two seperate 12V lines from two seperate molex connectors? I am confused and appologize if this doesn't make a lot of sense but I am new to this and would rather do all the testing and work in my house rather then after I put it in my car... much more comfortable

Plus I have a 300W power supply that I no longer use and would be willing to hack apart some Y adapter molex connections for the 12v lines... Would really help me to be able to do this... Just the 12V and IGN lines confuse me as to whether I have to bridge the 12V line across the 12V and IGN or use two seperate 12V lines to power both seperately?....

Comment

Hook a YELLOW wire to the 12+ and IGN and the BLACK wire to the GND.

If you are using an ATX PSU you will need to short pin 14 (usually a GREEN wire) on the ATX connecter for the PSU to turn on.
            ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
            Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
            All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
            Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by ODYSSEY
              Hook a YELLOW wire to the 12+ and IGN and the BLACK wire to the GND.

If you are using an ATX PSU you will need to short pin 14 (usually a GREEN wire) on the ATX connecter for the PSU to turn on.
              By short do you mean I would have to tap the green to the ground wire on the molex connector? Or would it have to be a constant connection? I have a momentary switch I'm thinking about attaching to this part of the hacked psu I'm making right now... Just not sure if it should be constantly connnected or if it should be just a quick tap or momentary connection to ground... Would really appreciate some clarification.... Thank you in Advance.

Comment

Short pins 13 & 14. You could also short 14 & 15 (pins 13 & 15 are both ground wires).
                That will fool the ATX power supply to thinking it's on. You'll get power to all the HDD connectors. Run power from the yellow and black of a HDD connector to your M2ATX. Yellow to the ACC line of the M2ATX will trigger power up. I have a switch on that line on a quick-connector I made for powering my setup inside.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Ok, sorry I just need clarification now on what shorting means? Should I use a momentary switch that will cut the current off to the green pin 14 connector or should I connect it to be constantly connected through splicing the wires together?

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                  Short pins 13 & 14. You could also short 14 & 15 (pins 13 & 15 are both ground wires).
                  That will fool the ATX power supply to thinking it's on. You'll get power to all the HDD connectors. Run power from the yellow and black of a HDD connector to your M2ATX. Yellow to the ACC line of the M2ATX will trigger power up. I have a switch on that line on a quick-connector I made for powering my setup inside.

Comment

No. You put something conductive between those pins and leave it there.
                    How about the Wiki?

Comment

No. You put something conductive between those pins and leave it there.

Ok Thank you so much for the quick response and clarification I'll connect pin 13 and 14 to seperate grounds on one of the molex connectors... I'll leave the momentary switch out of it...

I used a rocker switch on the ACC line to simulate what it would be like when the key gets turned and 12v power continuously flows through the switch and when I turn it off I hope it acts like my car would and have it active the shutdown controller hoping this will happen... could be wrong and this approach might not work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGee
                        Ok Thank you so much for the quick response and clarification I'll connect pin 13 and 14 to seperate grounds on one of the molex connectors... I'll leave the momentary switch out of it...

I used a rocker switch on the ACC line to simulate what it would be like when the key gets turned and 12v power continuously flows through the switch and when I turn it off I hope it acts like my car would and have it active the shutdown controller hoping this will happen... could be wrong and this approach might not work.

I'm just scared of blowing my stuff up...

Comment

No.
                          Short pin 13 on the ATX connector to pin 14 on the ATX connector. PIn 14 is the green wire (usually). Pin 13 is the ground.

You're making this far more complicated than it really is.

This logic is 100% spot-on.
                          It's the same way I have my indoor setup.
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

No.
                            Short pin 13 on the ATX connector to pin 14 on the ATX connector. PIn 14 is the green wire (usually). Pin 13 is the ground.

OHHHHH OK... thanks that makes a lot of sense now

Comment

WOooooot! It works GREAT! Thank you so much for the help... I'm going to take some detailed photo's and make a little worklog on how to do this sort of thing for people who would like to do this in the future... I couldn't have done it without all your input thank you all for the help I owe it all to you...

Here is a picture of it booting up off the M2-atx for the first time... Shutdown controller works great with the ACC switch I put in... have it set to jumper B which is a 5 seconds delay and I have it set to put it to hibranate and it resumes just great when I open the switch again... Thanks again...

No.

This logic is 100% spot-on.
                              It's the same way I have my indoor setup.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X