Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSATX Flexibility

Hello all
    I have Pundit P1-PH1 w/P4 3.0 120HDD 3.5 512MB Memory and DVDRW 5.2.I would like to use the 220W DSATX for power supply, my Q is...Is it possible to connect the DSATX through the lighter adapter instead of the car battery so this way I will be able to take the pc home and not leave it in the car.
    I have been reading a lot here and other sites but I did not see anyone talked about this kind of modification if it's all possible thanks in advance.

No, the cigarette lighter isn't going to work. Most cigarette lighters aren't going to provide enough power for the DSATX simply because of their design.

What I did is make a quickconnect plug for the PSU and I have two connections: One is in the car wired to the battery and the other is attached to a HDD plug that I can hook up to an ATX PSU so I can work on it inside.
    It's a somewhat kluugey solution, but it's as elegant as you can make it.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks DarquePervert for your replay, from your experience dose it take time to reconnect the pc back in the car like every morning going to work or it's fast I am thinking how much time I need to hook it back into the car is it a problematic. thanks again

Comment

Perhaps use a 3pin AC socket/plug set - like the ones in your home. These are rated to carry atleast 15amps (and thats usually because of the cable used. The plug pins can carry much more).

Use the socket (female) in the car, connected to VCC, ACC and GND - and put it whereever you're can PC will reside.
        Connect the plug (male end) to your DS-ATX board using the respective wires you used on the socket in the previous step.
        Then just plug and play.

This way its very quick and easy to connect/remove and it protects the car's electrical system from people shorting/touching it.

Just remember NOT to plug the DSATX 'AC style' plug into the wall when you get into your house!!!
        [Perhaps use an Australian/UK style plug/socket pair - so you cannot physically plug it in to ur wall outlet by accident]

Comment

The power socket idea will work, but it's far too bulky, in my opinion. I used a 3-wire molex style connector that I purchased at an electronic store and cut a hole in teh side of the case to have it stick out. the hole is a smidgen too large, but it works well enough.
          There's a pic of it in my worklog, linked in my sig.

I can have my PC out of the truck in under a minute. I have to disconnect the power, keyboard, mouse, USB GPS and audio. It takes a bit longer to get it connected inside (which I need to do today to troubleshoot a software issue).

If you want any more info, feel free to PM me.
          How about the Wiki?

Comment

Fair enough... could use an IEC type plug instead.. but you get my drift

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman_jkh
              Fair enough... could use an IEC type plug instead.. but you get my drift
              Yeah. It's the same concept, just using different-style plugs.
              There's lots of ways you could pull that off.

For The Land Yacht, we used a 220v dryer-style plug! It works, and there was plenty of space available for it.
              How about the Wiki?

Comment

that's sound fantastic you made my day I will go ahead and order the DSATX ( now I dont have to go with the inverter)
                Thanks a million.

Comment

Working...
                X