Won't power up Hard Drive and MB at same time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't power up Hard Drive and MB at same time

I now have a problem where the Sproggy 2.5 PSU will only power either the Hard drive or the MB, not both at the same time.

I am getting all the right voltages out, but I have the input supply from another PSU drive power cable (linked to the mains). I tested this voltage and it was only about 7v - even though I am getting 12v and 5v outof my Sproggy. Is this right???

Could this be causing my problems?

And sometimes the Hard drive will power up with the MB, but as soon as I connect the monitor cable to the video card it cuts the hard drive out.

When the hard drive does power up it spins for about 20 seconds, then shuts down and sounds like it is trying to spin back up.

What is going on????

I guess the low input voltage could be a problem. Maybe your supply isn't supplying the sproggy with enough amps on the 12v Rail.

Or maybe there is too much draw on the 12v rail to power up both at once. (hdd's take a lot of juice to spin up).
    http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
    Australian mp3car Portal
    mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
    mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
    -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Thanks hornet.

I tried connecting it to my car battery and everything works fine.

I think it was definately to do with my old power supply that was only giving out 8v for some reason. It used to work fine until I took everything out of the PC case.

Anyhow it is all now working and will be in my car soon.

Comment

Glad to hear it
        Australian mp3car Portal
        mp3car FAQ - RTFF

Comment

Originally posted by mkkbb
          Thanks hornet.

I tried connecting it to my car battery and everything works fine.

I think it was definately to do with my old power supply that was only giving out 8v for some reason. It used to work fine until I took everything out of the PC case.

Anyhow it is all now working and will be in my car soon.
          power supply might be still be good, just needs more load.

Comment

So it would need more load to produce the right voltages?

I know little about electronics but that sounds strange... come to think of it that does make sense, I think. Is it to do with the voltages/resitance/amps thing in that if you have more current you lower the voltage, kind of thing.

Comment

I think the AC power supply should be fine, its just that it may of been overloaded, thats why it wasn't producing the correct voltage.
              Australian mp3car Portal
              mp3car FAQ - RTFF

Comment

I got the exact same problem, it startet one or the other, guess that the regular atx psu didn't have the powers needed...anyone know how much a sproggy 2.6 draws att full load? (amps)
                -
                My cars
                -

Comment

Working...
                X