M1-ATX doesn't survive cranking anymore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1-ATX doesn't survive cranking anymore

I've had a perfectly working M1-ATX for about 2 years now but the last month I'm getting problems with it. I never had any problems cranking the starter and running the Via MII12000 but lately the MB reboots every time when I start the car! I'm pretty sure I get constant +12V cus nothing is rewired or anything.

Has the car been starting or running differently lately? If the battery voltage has dropped, the starter may pull more current to turn the engine over...and the M1 may not be able to supply the MB with "clean" power at the lower voltage.

As I understand power supplies, if the M1 interrupted the "POWER OK" signal to the MB during cranking, then the MB would likely reboot...and once the drain from the starter was eliminated, and the engine was running there might be enough voltage from the alternator to allow the M1 to supply good power.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Sounds like maybe your battery is not holding a charge as good as it used to. How old is the battery?
      ~Jimmy

Comment

could also be a corroded battery terminal.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyFitz
          Sounds like maybe your battery is not holding a charge as good as it used to. How old is the battery?
          If you have multimeter/voltage meter, you can measure the battery voltage with the car off, while starting the car, and then while the car is running. Voltage should be close to 12v - 12.5v with the engine off, should dip (but not much less than 11.5v or so) while starting, and then recover to 14v-14.5v with the engine running. If it's less than that, I'd start thinking about charging system issues. Take a look at the battery cables and the cable that runs from the alternator to the battery/power distribution block. Many autoparts stores (like AutoZone) also offer free charging system checks to verify alternator output and battery voltage...it's usually a 5min or less check. Finally, excessive heat can also cause a marginal battery that is sufficient in colder temperatures to fail...with record heat in many areas of the country, that's something to consider too.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Thanks for all input! I'll do a check up on the battery and also meassure the constant 12V line that feed the M1. Maybe I shouldn't be too sure that I really have a clean 12V all the time to the M1. I feed it from the oem HU power line, although I don't have the HU left.

Regarding heat, even though we had a very hot summer here in sweden, reaching 85F, I don't think thats enough to cause problems.

I'll update thread when problem is found.

Comment

Working...
            X