Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching between power supplies?

The following diagram shows what I am wanting to accomplish:

Both the Sproggy and 1u PSU will be inside the plexiglass case I am assembling, along with the "switching device" in the diagram. Obviously, only one PSU will be in use at any given time. I would like to have just 1 switch to change it from using the Sproggy to use the 1u PSU and vice versa. Granted, it would look impressive to have a seperate switch for each of the different voltage levels (click, click, click, click... ), but it would be annoying to switch all of them over.

I don't want to use just some Y cables to combine the outputs of the PSUs before they go to the motherboard and other devices because of feedback to the PSU that is not supplying power at the time.

Anyone have some suggestions on this? If someone could build a circuit/device such as this, I would be more than willing to pay them for their efforts

Thanks,
    James
    overall status software: ~40% completed, hardware: ~80% completed
    computer 10GB laptop drive, 192MB RAM, Intel MU440EX Motherboard, Celeron 300, 10/100 NIC, Windows 98SE, FM brodcaster from Radio Shack (12-2051A), 1U 200w ATX power supply, Sproggy 2.6 PSU, ATX Shutdown Controller, Crystalfontz 2x20 LCD (CFAH2002A-YMI-JPV), plexiglass case
    car 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. 4 cylinder, 2.0 Liter, DOHC

You could use relays so that there would be no feedback into the other PSU..

Jason

Comment

jrbless this is so easy .... all you need is 5volts double pole relays.... and a some diodes so the +5 sby volts from both the PSu are isolated from each other.. cause they will be controling the relays..

and your done ...

if you want me to make this for you mail me

Mastero

Comment

I'm sorry this is such an easy question, just I don't know much about electronics . I'm able to solder and work with pre-assembled pieces ok, just don't know how to design them. My skills lie more in the software/programming side of things .

Mastero, check your email.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!
        James
        overall status software: ~40% completed, hardware: ~80% completed
        computer 10GB laptop drive, 192MB RAM, Intel MU440EX Motherboard, Celeron 300, 10/100 NIC, Windows 98SE, FM brodcaster from Radio Shack (12-2051A), 1U 200w ATX power supply, Sproggy 2.6 PSU, ATX Shutdown Controller, Crystalfontz 2x20 LCD (CFAH2002A-YMI-JPV), plexiglass case
        car 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. 4 cylinder, 2.0 Liter, DOHC

Comment

i suggest just using the sproggy and then using a ac-dc transformer to power is at home, keep the size of the plexi case down.

Comment

This is how I am connecting mine.. only dif is that I am having the AC-DC PS built into my mp3box, and the DC-DC will be external, as I will probably use the player more at my and others houses.. also, I intend on using a linear DC-DC supply, which generates heat, so, to over come this problem, I am mounting it under the hood, and running 2 powerlines to the computer, (5volts and 12volts) this means a cooler, cheaper, smaller case...... and, heat from a linear regulator dropping teh voltage from 15volts down to 5volts @ 4amps or so, is now only a problem to the regulators themselves..
            2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
            register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Working...
            X