M1-ATX power handling, LCD/MD/HD/DVD/USBs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1-ATX power handling, LCD/MD/HD/DVD/USBs

I've got a 14" ELO touchscreen monitor that I am trying to figure out how to power up. It comes with the usual 110/240v-12v brick and I am trying to find a 12v source to power it in the car. The output current for the screen is 12v 3a.

I have an M1-ATX which will be powering an VIA MII 12000, Seagate full size 400gb HD, Pioneer slot load DVD, amp remote turn ons, and several USB applications.

I have been searching for a couple of hours now and the general consensus seems to be to tap into the 12v rail on the power supply. Will this be okay? Also, instead of splicing wires can't I just use the 12v and ground from the second HD plug? I remember seeing somewhere which of the wires were which but I don't remember now. (red, black x2, yellow)

I hope this makes some sense, I am still learning. Thanks in advance for all help!

The molex connector is red, black, black, yellow with 5v, gnd, gnd, 12v.

3amps off the 12v rail is a hefty load expecially for the M1. Including all that other stuff, I say, probably not.

In my opinion, the best way would be to build (or buy) a 12v regulator that can handle 3amps. Basically take the car's 6v-14v (Cranking-Charging) and convert to a steady 12v. That way you won't need to introduce inverter noise.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

not a hope of running it of an M1 max on the 12v line is 2A http://www.mp3car.com/products/M1-ATX/M1-ATX-specs.pdf. Having worked with screens and power supplies I would say the 3A quoted is average and not peak consumption so I would allow a little more say 3.5 or 40watts. I would upgrade to the M2 which I think would be perfect for this and be a simpler install than trying to add another power supply for the screen.
      Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm moving up to the M2.

Comment

Good for you.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
          X