Problem with battery drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with battery drain

This is a tricky question for me since I don't know what area it should go in.

I'm having battery drain overnight from the computer. More comments below my diagrams. I have a M2-ATX PSU.

Diagram 1 shows how I supplied power to both the PC and AMP. I'm using a lilliput in-dash screen so the power for that comes from the radio harness

http://www.911pcrepairs.com/images/car_in.jpg

Diagram 2 shows how I power the rest of the devices in the car

http://www.911pcrepairs.com/images/car_out.jpg

Computer turns on fine after cranking. Amp works , screen works. PC Boots, hubs are active, everything works. If turn off the car the PC shuts down and the amp goes off. The USB hubs remain powered and you can push the button to open/close the USB-CDROM and it opens/closes. That tells me that there is still power coming from the PSU. One HUB has a blue LED that glows so I know it is active.

The setup does the SAME thing if you use the Shutdown in windows to power off the PC.

Whats going on? The power only stops if you unplug the red wire to the PSU and then plug it back in. What gives? If I dont do that unplug and plug in step the computer drains my battery overnight and the next morning its a dead batter (thank god for a battery jumper).

I had the same problem when using the onboard supplied usb ports. Although my battery didn't drain, but it was very annoying because my usb hub has a light and u can see it at night from outside the car. To fix it I used the USB ports that are supplied by the computer's case (the ones that connect to the motherboard). Or maybe if you buy a pci usb card, that might work.

Comment

The Hubs arn't getting their power from the USB cable, they are powered by the power jack. This tells me it is something to do with the PSU because my CD-Rom HAS to be plugged in to work. The amount of power supplied by a single USB port isn't enough to power my device.

That said, it is either something wrong with my wiring, a faulty PSU, or I simply don't know what.

Comment

Originally posted by Splash-X View Post
        The Hubs arn't getting their power from the USB cable, they are powered by the power jack. .
        Did you modify your USB cable or HUB to eliminate the connection to +5V supplied by the mobo?

If not the hub is drawing power from your psu standby circuit.

Quick check- pull the USB cable from the pc for an overnight.

Comment

No modifications were made to the hubs so I'm assuming that I will need to do that.

A side question, would a better idea be to some how place a switch on the power cable running to the computer? That would also allow me to turn on/off the PC if needed without shutting the car on/off.

Comment

No modifications were made to the hubs so I'm assuming that I will need to do that.

A side question, would a better idea be to some how place a switch on the power cable running to the computer? That would also allow me to turn on/off the PC if needed without shutting the car on/off.
            The mod to the USB cable is pretty quick / painless. You just have to figure out which of the 4 wires is the 5 volts and cut.

I use a switch on the dash to control a relay that makes or breaks the 12volt connection to my psu. My car had a cd changer option in the truck so an unsued cable that runs from the dash to the trunk carries the relay signal, as well as power for my LCD and USB hub.

Comment

I would say that putting the switch on the power lead to the PSU would be your best/easiest solution. It would also let you turn it on/off at leisure.
              2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited V10
              Generic DVD
              2 7" Headrest monitors
              Acorp 7km400QP 2500+ 1GB DDR400 - m1ATX
              Delorme Earthlink GPS
              XM-PCR1000
              7" TS
              Worklog

Comment

It has been a long time since I've done switches for things in the car. I've installed many fog lights in the past and neons but we're talking 7 years and I was a novice.

A switch would be the equilivent of running the red power to the switch, ground the switch, and then run the power out to the computer. Is that right?

Comment

A switch would be the equilivent of running the red power to the switch, ground the switch, and then run the power out to the computer. Is that right?
                  If the switch has a light in it, yes. Otherwise it's just going to have two prongs, just an in and an out. So one prong would go to the battery, the other to the PC

Comment

If you are doing a switch you need to know how much current you are drawing. The greater the load the larger the switch. If the switch becomes too large for your planned location ( dash etc ) you will probable want to use a relay.

Comment

I calculated it all and made sure to get a switch that was less than the total output from the PSU.

I want to cry. I bought a Lilliput off someone here in the forum and it turned out to be a dud (not their fault, appears to be a manufacturer problem as it was new, electrical bugs and then the gears broke). It was working (well, the screen turns on lets put it that way) this afternoon and the VGA died on my way home from an appointment. Oh well, my new screen came in today, non-motorized touch screen and all was well so I started the full change over.

After getting the switch to work and getting the monitor to power on and cycle through the inputs I found no VGA still. Hooked up an external monitor thinking maybe the PC wasn't getting enough power now. My VGA extension died. And one of my USB HUBs may have died since it no longer lights up.

The good news is I finally have a working screen again and I'll tackle the nwe VGA and USB tomorrow after a run to the store.

Thanks for your help guys! This switch has made it possible to prevent battery drain now as well as reboot the PC without turning off the car (like when someone hits the "power off" key on the keyboard).

Comment

try this: Linkage

If it works you can toss the switch. Hopefully it helps, I would think a switch would be slightly irritating. Now I have read that sometimes this doesn't work with everything, but hope it does.
                        -------
                        I'm hungry

Comment

Working...
                        X