Opus 120W or M2-ATX ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 120W or M2-ATX ???

I've been doing my research, and I'm doing a carputer with my modded xbox (just want dvd, music vids, and music storage on xbmc).

It seems like a lot of people here have the M2-atx PS, but I was looking at an Opus as well. The project is running low on funds, but I don't want to go with cheaper parts for my RX.

What are your opinions?

You can use an M1-ATX. It's a cheaper alternative and has been setup with success. Read this thread"
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81061
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Personally I would go with the Opus. I have 2x M2-ATX and none of them work. There are other people questioning the reliability of the M2 as well, have a search and you will see what I mean.
      Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

But the OPUS 120 only has 42W on the 12V rail, right? How is this possibly enough? I've looked at the much recommended journeysystems calculator and the processor draw specs. Assuming a VIA M10000, figure maximum draw at 12W, a HDD at 25W, CD/DVD at 25W, gps antenna at 5W, plus a bunch of miscellaneous watts to power the mobo, fans, etc. Even with the known quantities you are looking at 67W.

I know people are successfully using the OPUS 120, but how? What am I missing? Are they using multiple PSUs?

Comment

I may be completely off since I'm trying to learn this myself, but you 26,4W on the 3.3v rail, 40W on the 5v rail, and 10W on the 5v STDBY. That makes 118W including the 42W from the 12v

Correct me if I'm wrong guys

Comment

I understand that FZ, but I guess my real question is what components run on each rail. I know the CPU runs on 12V and I believe the HDD runs on 12V also - that's 37W out of a max of 42 right there. I have since learned that the CD / DVD runs on the 5V rail, so there are 15W left on the 5V rail and 5W left on the 12V rail at this point. I'm not sure what rail the USB ports run on. In short, if there is anything else on the 12V rail, I don't see how this PSU is large enough. Again, I'm sure I'm missing something - just looking for answers.

Comment

Go here to calculate the power requirements. Not all CPUs are powered from the 12v rail. http://www.mini-box.com/site/resourc...simulator.html

2.5" hard drives are powered from the 5v rail as are USB components. 3.5" hdd are powered from both 12v and 5v.
              Yeah google!

Comment

Its actually a 150 opus I use. I didn't do any calculations as the choice was M2 or 120 so I assume either would have done the job in his case. In your case everything you have mentioned can all run on the 5v line if you use slimline drives.
                Everyone's set-up is different you have to use what is best for you and as others have said work it out for yourself. There are loads of people out there who use the 90w Opus or the M1 with VIA board set-ups and have power to spare.
                Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

i couldn't be assed skimping on power so i got
                  220w
                  2001 Passat 130TDi Sport - Via Epia 15000, 1gb, 100gb, 220w psu, 7" lilliput motorized touch (chopped and in dash as a fixed), bluetooth, bu-303 gps, 7 port usb hub, tiny keyboard, netgear 54mb wifi, optima yellow top, ryder rt1170x, freecom dvb

Comment

Thanks for the link Crez, that helps.

Comment

Save your money, and go for the larger supply. As someone who's M2 fried itself, I would rather be safe than sorry if I had to do it again.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Working...
                      X