Powering LCD from cig lighter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering LCD from cig lighter

Is it safe to keep my LCD (cartft.com CTF700) connected to the cigarette lighter during crank? I know there can be voltage spikes, and this particular LCD comes with a cigarette adapter plug. On their website, the specs for this monitor are "Power Input : 12-24VDC". Does this mean it can handle up to 24V? If so, this should be able to widthstand the spikes during crank, right? BTW, the monitor also maxes out at 900mA (back of the sticker says "12VDC ---- 900mA (Max)" )

Oddly enough, the wall adapter it came with (European Plug), says "Output 12.0VDC ---- 1.25A"

Monitor found here http://cartft.com/catalog/il/541

Originally posted by drPheta View Post
    Is it safe to keep my LCD (cartft.com CTF700) connected to the cigarette lighter during crank? I know there can be voltage spikes, and this particular LCD comes with a cigarette adapter plug. On their website, the specs for this monitor are "Power Input : 12-24VDC". Does this mean it can handle up to 24V? If so, this should be able to widthstand the spikes during crank, right? BTW, the monitor also maxes out at 900mA (back of the sticker says "12VDC ---- 900mA (Max)" )

Oddly enough, the wall adapter it came with (European Plug), says "Output 12.0VDC ---- 1.25A"

Monitor found here http://cartft.com/catalog/il/541
    This is how I am planning on powering mine.
    My cig lighter plug has a fuse in it, so I figured this would be fine. Plus the monitor doesn't actually come on until I hit the power button.
    Car-PC progress meter (researching and collecting hardware)
    [-+--------]

Comment

Im also wondering the same thing

im going to get a new lilliput screen and was going to just hardwire into the ACC with a fuse

but when the car cranks doesnt the voltage drop and spike ???

was going to go with a
      Carnetix CNX-P1900 Ver. 2.2 Dual Output 140 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator
      to power both the screen and the laptop i use would that be a better option ??? i dont wanna wreck a nice screen with doing it wrong

Comment

spikes when cranking and cig lighter power

Honestly, if anything, your 12vdc voltage will drop during cranking. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Whatever device will probably not even start to power up until you stop cranking anyway...

dd
        2006 Mini S Convertible
        Woodbridge, VA

Comment

Originally posted by don.davis View Post
          Honestly, if anything, your 12vdc voltage will drop during cranking. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Whatever device will probably not even start to power up until you stop cranking anyway...

dd
          I actually tried running my monitor off the 12v rail lof my m2-atx, and it seemed to work great. I will prob do this instead of running directly off the acc line ot the cig lighter.
          Car-PC progress meter (researching and collecting hardware)
          [-+--------]

Comment

Originally posted by drPheta View Post
            Car = DC

Wall = AC

big differences...
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6 View Post
              Car = DC
              Wall = AC
              big differences...
              Red, I think he was drawing attention to the fact that the apparent power rating (amps) for the display is lower than what's output from the AC converter. A concern that it may be getting too many amps.
              BTW, the monitor also maxes out at 900mA (back of the sticker says "12VDC ---- 900mA (Max)" )
              As compared to the 1.25 amps from the AC converter.
              http://gickr.com/results4/anim_5055e...a2b3b197c9.gif
              1990 RHD JDM 300ZX TT 2+2 5sp T-Top
              491RWHP / 18psi / 94 octane

Comment

Originally posted by jschrauwen View Post
                Red, I think he was drawing attention to the fact that the apparent power rating (amps) for the display is lower than what's output from the AC converter. A concern that it may be getting too many amps.
                As compared to the 1.25 amps from the AC converter.
                Well it may peak when it is turned on resulting in being fed more juice!

Like old 74 TTL chips. When they first started, they used more power then microseconds after!
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

so im wasting money on a Carnetix ?? or am i just being paranoid

Comment

I blew out a 'Super' LCD using the supplied cigarette lighter adapter in 1 week.

I now use only regulated 12v from my CarPC psu- no problems 6 months.
                    If I were you I'd play it safe and tap into the HD power connector.

Comment

for this hobby, you should invest in a voltmeter. measure the voltage during crank and normal running.

if you are interested in common practice- many people buy a regulated power supply to protect their investment in the screen. "better safe than sorry." but you'll hear that a lot of people don't use a power supply and they are fine. remember that the screen is one of the most expensive components.

personally- i use a power supply, because i need the 5volts anyway for the powered usb hub.

Comment

Yeah i wanna use the 5+ as well so i think ill go the PSU option...for Laptop screen and USB cartronix should do that with extra 3 outlet

Comment

Theres loads of posts on this, but this one is a cracker.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...70&postcount=4

I have my Lilli plugged into the lighter socket and its been fine so far, but if you wanted to regulate the power, then use the circuit as above.

'98 Peugeot 306
                          Project Status: I sold it ages ago!

ShutControl

The ultimate shutdown control software for laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by blessani View Post
                            Theres loads of posts on this, but this one is a cracker.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...70&postcount=4

I have my Lilli plugged into the lighter socket and its been fine so far, but if you wanted to regulate the power, then use the circuit as above.
                            I wouldn't trust that 1 dollar chip to protect my 250 bucks screen.
                            Plus, when the engine isn't running, it doesn't do any good. Tap into the PSu 12 V and use it.
                            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I don't have a PSU to power the 12 V. I suppose I'll just buy two POL devices, one for 5V and one for
                              12V

Comment

Working...
                              X