A little power supply advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little power supply advice needed

Hello. I have been reading and researching my CarPC for about a month now. I have torn apart my car and read the forums non stop. I have pretty much decided on what I am going to install and what will fit. I am looking for a fairly high end machine because I drive about 800-1000 miles a week and also spend a decent amount of down time in my car. I am pretty knowledgeable about cars, computers, and car audio and have wanted to combine them all ever since I can remember. Below are the components I have picked out to install into my dash where the passenger airbag was. I also plan on ordering the 8" widescreen touchscreen off mp3car as my primary screen in my steering wheel and a 17" widescreen LCD which will fit into the dash on the passenger side. I plan to put a deep cycle battery in the trunk on an isolator to power everything. Anyway, I would really like to use a DC-DC power supply, but seems I will have to break down and use an inverter due to power constraints. Any other way to solve my power problems or is an inverter my best choice? Any advice would be great. Thanks for all the help you guys have already given me! By the way I drive a '98 VW Jetta TDI.

ASRock P4i65G Socket 478 Intel 865G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE PCI Interface 1042 Tuner Card - Retail
    (2) KINGWIN KF-91 SATA Beige Aluminum Mobile Rack - Retail
    Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 3.0GHz Socket 478 RoHS Version
    (2) AMPO 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory
    (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    ADESSO WKB-4000US 2-Tone USB RF Wireless Mini Keyboard Mouse
    SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink
    USGlobalSat BU-353 WaterProof WAAS enabled USB GPS Receiver

You'll probably want to check out a power wattage calculator, then see if any of the current DC-DC PSU's will work for you.

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_...calculator.php
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have used a couple different calculators and I am looking at about 250W so I figure I need a PS at about 300W to be safe.

Comment

Yikes, that's a lot of power. Yeah, I would probably say that an inverter would be your best bet to be sure you have enough.

Hopefully someone else will jump in here with some ideas.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Yeah, it's going to be a monster system with 3.0 P4, 500GB HD, and 2 GB memory. Also, since I am thinking about using a 17" desktop LCD as the second display, AC power will be needed on hand.

Comment

I feel obligated to ask...
            Why do you want that much CPU horsepower in your ride?
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

it's not only why that much power, but why such an inefficient way of providing the power....

p4's suck in a car.... they are extremely inefficient & wasteful... & in this waste is also the by product of excessive heat generation...... & excesive power draw..

my advice..... keep that p4 on your desktop & look to pentium m or athalon xp-m's

a pentium m 1.7 with 2mb cache will be every bit as much of a screamer as that p4 you have, while using about HALF the power... & generate less heat.. another side benifit of the pentium m is they have the highest acceptable core temps of any processor, & can run comfortably up to a full 100celcius..

trust me, I've been there... I did a p4 in my install, only to rip it out & scrap it months later....

I'd avise using dc-dc to power the pc, & if you MUST use an inverter, then just a small one for the 17 monitor alone...
              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by FreeThinking3 View Post
                Yeah, it's going to be a monster system with 3.0 P4, 500GB HD, and 2 GB memory. Also, since I am thinking about using a 17" desktop LCD as the second display, AC power will be needed on hand.
                HOLY COW,

What the heck do you need all that for in your car?

You will have issues with boot times, HEAT, and power. There are much better, more efficient solutions.

You really should think long and hard before you go ahead and buy all that expensive stuff to put in your car.

Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I spend a lot of time sitting in my car on breaks. I understand it's overkill, but the price is comparable with a system half that. It's hard for me to justify paying almost as much for a slower system just to save power. I researched the pentium 4M's and they only seemed to save like 20 watts. I guess I am still learning. Thanks again.

Comment

NOT PENTIUM 4M'S, pentium m ...centrino.....

NOT SLOWER.... check benchmarks.... just as fast as the p4 your planning, check the specs...

more than just 20 watts difference.... it could be double that.... & that can make the difference between a dc-dc setup & an inverter....

the pentium m is just a better processor, & I'm not talking about slow....

I doubt you're gonna do a lot more with your pc than I do with mine, I run multi screens & multitask... run dual front ends, monitor my security cameras remotely... watch videos & actually do a bit of photoshop skin editing in my car...

this is not a compramise, it is an improvement, an upgrade from the p4.... it is superior in just about all aspects... but it may cost a bit more if you choose to go with like a 2.1, which will blow away the p4 3.0..... talk about fast....

I run a 1.6 m, 400fsb, 2mb cache & it is every bit as fast as the 2.8 p4 I yanked out....

I think they run up to 2.1 533fsb.... really fast...

Comment

dunno if this would really help, but couldnt the op just run dual psu's?

one for the mobo, and the other for the peripherals?

im planning on an overkill system as well, but then again, my carputer will be removeable, so i can use it inside the house as well, and dual psu's is the route im planning

Comment

I'm doing this actually, my system is 2 gateway pentium m laptop motherboards networked.. my media is stored in a netgear network storage enclosure... I use a kr1 wireless router to tie it all togeather.... my system is pretty elaborate & overkill by most standards, & not what I'd call necissary really, but since you mention duals

Comment

& btw, I do all of the things that I mentioned with just 1 pc, the dual setup is not really necissary to facilitate that, although it does broaden the possibilities quite a bit...

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I have looked into the Pentium M's and they look great and not too much more money. (I had originally looked at the P4M's) I could get away with a DC-DC PS, but I also want to power a AC 17" LCD. Is it worth spending the extra money to run a DC-DC and a power inverter for my LCD? I have read some of the downsides of a inverter, but it seems it can work just as well. Please fill me in so I can make the right choice. Thanks.

Comment

I have used a 300 watt inverter and a DC-DC in my Car.

The DC-DC was more efficient but I prefer the inverter for one simple reason.

When I have access to an extension cord ( every night in my garage ) I can leave the pc plugged in. This allows me the convenience of uploading/downloading tweaking the config or skins or what ever at any time using VNC.

More importantly how many miles on your TDI - my 2002 just flipped 155K.

Comment

Working...
                              X