No announcement yet.

Yeah, i'm a newbye.....

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, i'm a newbye.....

Hi boys, i'm from italy and i really need help.
    I have quite finished my home made mp3 player, with an AT powered 133 with 32 MB which use a LCD 4*20 and run my own DOS software written in C
    The problem is that i really don't know how to power it.
    The software run quite well, it only need some more fixes, but until now i've powered the whole thing with the standard 220volt power supply.

I wish to know if there are on the market some power supply DC2DC ready to use and eventually its cost.
    If not, how much difficult is to build one themselves?
    I never did something similar before and interfacing my LCD with the parallel port was my most difficult electronic task.

Another thing, what about power consumption?
    Someone (who know more than me with electronic) said me that once built the power supply i will have my battery vanish after a few minutes, if i run the player with the car engine powered off.....
    How far was him from the truth?

Another thing, how much ampere need the mother board, the hard disk and eventually the floppy disk? I don't need CD-ROM.....
    How much energy generate my car engine? There's the risks that my player use more power than the engine can generate?

Thanks in advance to everyone who read that.

There are various options done by various people each with there on pros & cons.

You can by them pre made from various people, the only one I can think of at the mo is pc power and cooling but there are quite a few companies around that make them, a little bit of searching in the PSU section should produce some results, expect to pay between 100 USD and 200 USD (110 Euros and 220 Euros) for one however.

Some people use inverters which convert 12V DC to mains voltage and then run the original PSU off that, nasty avoid it if you can.

Building PSUs is quite common, there are a load of designs on
    sproggy's site and a few on my site If you go fro the sroggy approch you can get PCBs and usesfull bits form mastero hopefully I've got his name right this time.

And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows? (Does what it says on the URL) (The new car, with zero rust!) (My other site)
    Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)