Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply or a dc regulator?

Hello everyone,
    I am thinking of buying a dell sx270 (small form factor, external PS). Now, is it better to buy a costly dc-dc power supply (The nicer ones) or hacking apart the ext. p/s and run it directly to the battery? I have read other post, that they have done this. Mostly because they claim the sx270 mobo has a built-in regulator. Now here is my idea, I want to use a dc 12v regulator ( like this one ) Is this a good idea? If so, they make 5V regulators too. Can I use those to power usb hubs, etc... I am not a power expert, The items i found maybe the wrong ones. So any help is great! BTW I have a good size stereo system, sucking up alot of power. (4000w max avg 2000w RMS)

thats not a regulator!

Comment

I must be mis-lead by the title? It said it has a built-in regulator? Can you explain a little more please?

Comment

Did I put this question in the wrong forum?

Comment

Originally posted by dvsmex View Post
          I must be mis-lead by the title? It said it has a built-in regulator? Can you explain a little more please?
          Yep, you've been misled. That is not suitable for powering a computer, not even close.
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I ahh.. think its a volt meter :

Comment

The computer (sx270) just needs 12v regulated. It doesn't really need a power supply. Does anyone have an idea of where to get what i'm looking for? I have done the searches, but it's useless if I don't know what i'm looking for.

Comment

How about a voltage Stabilizer?
                Could this work?

Or maybe a isolator for a three battery setup? One batt for the engine, One batt for the audio system, and One batt for the truckputer. All will be charged by the alt. So no batts will affect each other. (current draw)

Comment

I'd check to see how many amps that's capable of regulating before you buy.
                  Frankly, for a vehiclePC setup, there are far simpler solutions that don't require a second battery or any other major mods to the vehicle electrical system.

Unless you're building a high-end show car with assloads of electrical components (hydraulic pumps, actuators, 80 gazillion watts of audio, robotic arms, welding equipment, industrial HVAC equipment, etc.), you're not going to need all that battery power, plain and simple.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

it's useless if I don't know what i'm looking for.
                    You do know what you are looking for, it is in the thread title. You need a regulator.
                    If you had searched in the store on this very site you might have found this : http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=11
                    Now you are spoilt for choice.
                    Old Systems retired due to new car
                    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

I see now, I almost thought I was crazy. Hell maybe I am! Anyways thank you. I was so busy searching google and these forums, i forgot about the Mp3car store.

Comment

dell sx270

How is with your AC-adaptor from dell?
                        How much is out. Volt?
                        How much ampar?
                        How much Watt?
                        How see out contacten ?
                        Is the two cabel. + and - ?

Comment

I see now, I almost thought I was crazy. Hell maybe I am!
                          Sanity is soooooo overrated..
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I just bought a sx260 1.8 Celeron for $133 (ebay) shipped. Duno about the sx270 from dell? The pc takes 12v @ 12.5 amps and 150w. Sorry Hamid_sw, don't understand last questions.

Now after i just bought it, is when i think of the video. Cause my datalux monitors are wierd, They don't work with every vga card. Crap, I my have to resale the unit if that's the case.

Comment

hi dvsmex
                              sorry for bad english.
                              last the question is how see out kontaktn and how many cables is coupled until cavity
                              if this have just 2 cabel in the contact
                              maby you can use samthing like that.

http://www.clasohlson.se/?AFP=store/...166E209A885509

http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/setpage....0&dok=4662.htm

http://www.netonnet.se/index.asp?iid...100C1749401861

if you have more cabel in det contact out from your AC-adapter (dell usually have 3 kabel, 12v, 5v, and zero) you muste have different.

Comment

Working...
                              X